Hop out of your bag: volume 2

Junior: I want to do nothing but sleep after school. Advice on how to stay awake?

I am a firm believer in naps and drinking tea.

Once you get home, take a break, maybe eat something and take a short nap if needed. If you are going to nap try to sleep for 20 minutes to an hour. Try to do it earlier in the afternoon so that you can still sleep later on. If you need caffeine, drink caffeinated tea because it’s healthier for you than coffee or energy drinks.When you’re doing homework, try to work in intervals; if you try to do all of your homework straight through it will make you more tired. Take five minute breaks between 25 minutes of assignments so you can give your brain a break. Though honestly speaking, the only way that you will feel less tired is to get on a regular sleeping schedule, even if you aren’t sleeping very long at night. Waking up and going to bed at the same time every day will work to combat your problem.

However, this may not work for everybody. If you really need to stay awake when you get home because either you want to do homework or just are scared that you’ll accidentally take a nap until 5 am (I’ve been there), do an activity that will increase your energy and prevent you from dozing off like all of us Harrisites want to do after school. This sounds crazy, but sometimes doing exercise or getting active can help you wake up. Walk it out. Do whatever it takes to wake yourself up. Even something like taking a cold shower can help wake you up and keep you going for the rest of the day.

Sophomore: My close friend and I seem to be drifting apart but she doesn’t put in the effort to talk or hang out.

I know, I’ve been there, and yes, it sucks. You might be feeling a bit hopeless, but the only thing you can do is talk to your friend. If you reach out and put effort into making plans and get nothing in return; then it may be time to re-evaluate your friendship. This is going to sound super cliche but just try talking to your friend and say “Hey, I feel like we are drifting apart” and see what they say. The best way to deal with this situation is to approach the problem head on. If you are really meant to be friends, you’ll be able to work this out. If not then do not stress out about it, it’s natural for some relationships to drift apart. This does not mean that you guys do not care for each other; you might have just outgrown each other and become different people who want different things. If you repeatedly try and continue to be met by a lack of effort or feel that you are getting nowhere, then it may be time to let this friendship go.

Junior: My boyfriend wants me to meet his friends but I hate meeting new people and I am scared they won’t like me. What do I do?

If your boyfriend wants you to meet his friends, that is usually a good sign that your relationship is going well. It indicates that he trusts you and wants you to meet people who are important to him and he wants those people to know that you are important to him as well. It might be a bit awkward at first or you may hit it off great but you will never know unless you try. However, if you go into the situation with a positive attitude you will be able to work through the awkwardness and get along with his friends just fine. Just know that it is not definite that you and all of his friends will become best friends. As long as you make an effort to get to know them, you should be fine.

Thanks for sending in your questions, and keep them coming for more advice!

Yours truly,

The Helpful Hawks