Game, set, season: Tennis seniors say goodbye

The COVID-19 pandemic has put the world on pause and led to the cancellation of numerous events and activities. On March 12, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio announced that PSAL activities were to be suspended indefinitely, and on March 15, it was announced schools would also be suspended. With the decision to not reopen schools for the 2019-20 school year, PSAL spring sports are effectively over. These also represent the last seasons for graduating seniors, who are not able to participate in their final year.

This year, the boys tennis team seemed to be very promising. We had great captains, coaches, and a very deep team. Unfortunately, this team was never able to show their talent due to the season being cut short before we could even play our first match. Nevertheless, it is important to recognize our wonderful seniors, who have brought so much to this team.

The Townsend Harris Boys Varsity Tennis Team had two seniors this year: Noah Pearlstein and Abhinav Garg. Both of them have been on the team since they were freshmen, and have certainly made a great impact. They also served as the co-captains of the team this year, because we all knew how well they would be able to lead us. I had personally known Noah and Abhinav for many years before I got to Townsend, and I must say that throughout the years I have watched them become amazing competitors on the court. This year was no different, with them pushing us so we could top the historic season we had last year.  

I joined the tennis team in my freshman year, and I can say that it has been an incredible experience. Noah and Abhinav were very helpful to all the freshmen who had joined, and helped us with anything we ever needed. They made our team feel like a family. They were always team players, and fierce competitors. I have never once seen either of them not give all they had on the court, and they always set a good example for the rest of the team.

Both of these seniors have taught us so much, and each brought something unique to the team. Noah, who was possibly the tallest kid in our school this year, used his height to his advantage when playing doubles. His serve would always throw the opposing team off-guard, and he had a very offensive play-style that would always make an impact. Abhinav, who also played doubles, would always be crafty when he played to keep the opposing team on their toes.  He used his great knowledge of the game and his skill with the racket to always make an impact as well. One thing they have in common is their ability to establish great communication with their doubles partners. Whenever I watched them play, I was always amazed to see how well they worked together with whoever their partner was, and they always made their partner better.  

I am definitely going to miss being teammates with these guys. They have been such great leaders to our team, and I hope that they will visit practices or matches in the future. I respect them both so much for staying strong after the cancelation of the season, and I hope we can make them proud in the near future. I know that they are both confident that we will take what we learned from them and use it to better ourselves and the team. 

I think I could speak for the whole team in saying that Noah and Abhinav were great players, role models, and leaders. I want to thank them for all they have done for me, and the team as a whole. They will be missed next year, but their lessons will live on in all of us. Thank you for everything and good luck in college you guys!

Photo courtesy of Ava Nabatkhoran