Teens share places to visit this spring

Amy Jiang
Teens recommend places to visit this spring.

As the weather becomes warmer and the cherry blossoms bloom at Townsend Harris High School, many places around New York become captivating for many to visit. From lush gardens to scenic rivers, there are many places that Harrisites can visit during the spring season continuing through the summer. Harrisites spoke to the Classic about some of their favorites areas to visit during this time of year.

Roosevelt Island

Despite its origins of inhabiting New York City’s prisoners, Roosevelt Island has transformed into a charming island that provides many views and experiences. The area has many fulfilling views of the beautiful pink and white trees with a great contrast to the towering buildings and mesmerizing outlines of the Manhattan skyline. Not only does it offer great sightseeing experiences, but there are many restaurants nearby, including American steakhouses and classic Mediterranean places.

Junior Borenno Shafi who visited Roosevelt Island said, “I would recommend this place as it’s a great hangout and picnic spot, especially because of all the convenient stores around it. When I went here, I was able to experience diverse cultures from the foods and take many pictures of the beautiful scenery all around. This place is perfect for those who like to try new things and be adventurous.”

Little Island

Although Little Island has a dark historical past with it being the site of the Lusitania’s grueling voyage, it has now become a famous landmark. Little Island isa tulip-shaped island that rests neatly on the Hudson River, and is a place that welcomes many visitors. The location, which is adjoined with the Hudson River, provides a fresh and breezy spring ambience. The island supplies New York City residents with a green space that’s unfamiliar with its industrialist culture. Its  unique design allows visitors with a waterfront view  as well as a scenery of  trees, plants, and flowers.

Junior Sumiya Chaudhry said, “I enjoyed Little Island as it had amazing views and the architecture was much different from typical New York parks. It allowed me to enjoy the fresh air while also being able to relax at the sight of so much greenery surrounding me.”

New York Botanical Garden

The New York Botanical Garden allows visitors to immerse themselves in the spring season, through bright colors, a variety of plants, and their natural surroundings. These plants attract butterflies, dragonflies, and many other animals, all of which add to the beautiful scenery that people can experience at the garden. For Mother’s Day and the month of May, the botanical garden  hosts workshops, poetry sessions, and garden parties for people to bond and spend time with friends and family.

Sophomore Sarna Paul said, “During the spring, I enjoy going to the Botanical Garden and being able to walk around while enjoying the weather. It’s a great place to see art and music exhibitions as well. I remember in the past, they had many art exhibits that explored different parts of nature, which made people aware of conservationism and provided a pretty view as well.”

Central Park

Central Park, which is located in Manhattan, is a popular spot due to its attractions and serene setting. With flourishing green landscapes, large space, and room for exploration, it’s convenient for leisure activities and engaging with nature. Central Park offers horse and carriage tours, areas for picnics, and the opportunity to view hundreds of different bird species that migrate here every year. The many sights and areas to relax with friends makes this park the perfect place for those who enjoy the outdoors and exploring the world.

Freshman Madilyn Mercado said, “I went to Central Park for a picnic with the Fencing Team and I really enjoyed my time there. That day, the weather was very nice and it was a perfect place to relax and spend time with friends. It’s also a great spot for taking a break and connecting with nature.”

This spring season gives Harrisites the chance to enjoy vibrant tulips, gentle breezes, and sunlight. With these enchanting places, many can start making plans for enjoying the nice weather with friends and family.