Girl’s bowling team spared the loss

It all came down to one pin.

This past Thursday, the Townsend Harris Girls’ Varsity Bowling team pulled off a “nerve wrecking” win over Martin Van Buren High School.  Senior Jamie Pfeiffer bowled a spare in the tenth frame of the “C” game to pull her team to a one pin victory.

“It was nerve wrecking,” Jamie said about her clutch spare, “We all pulled through and I’m just so glad we won.”

Jamie wasn’t the only bowler to have a phenomenal game.  Senior Ellen Huynh bowled the highest score in the game with a 152 in Game A.  Senior Morgan Wu also added a 150 in Game C that helped propel the Lady Hawks to victory.

Townsend Harris was strong in the first game, winning a powerhouse battle by a narrow margin, 520-513.  Van Buren came back in Game B, though, throwing down a 420 that easily rebuked Townsend Harris’s 355.  Game C came down to the wire, with 490-489 being the final score.

When asked what turned the team around after that brutal Game C, Seniors Mahwish Waseem and Rebecca Lee credited Ms. Assante’s pep talk during a crucial timeout.  “We were down the whole game until Ms. Assante gave the whole team a pep talk.  Then, everybody who was bowling stepped their game up,” said Mahwish.

Rebecca recounts some words from the pep talk: “We might be down, but we aren’t out.”

Although Martin Van Buren is a Queens Division III bowling team, they definitely put up a fight against the Queens Division I leader Townsend Harris.  But Townsend Harris was resilient and able to bowl the strikes and spares in the clutch.