Girls fencing defeats their toughest opponent

On April 25, the THHS girls fencing team completed the first half of their season against Francis Lewis High School. The team defeated Francis Lewis in both epee and foil for a final score of 90-52. The match proved to be the hardest of the season as the team gave away a season high of 52 points to the opposing team.

After a slow start, epee finished the game with a final score of 45-22. The team started the game slowly with a score of 6-7 in favor of Francis Lewis by the end of the second bout. Freshman Doreen Wu would then take over the third bout 9-1 to bring Townsend Harris to a 15-8 lead. Francis Lewis would never lead again for the rest of the match and even went scoreless during the eighth bout, where Doreen won her bout 6-0.

Foil, on the other hand, finished the game 45-30, the most amount of touches received from an opposing team this season. While Francis Lewis never led in this match, they made their presence felt by consistently accruing touches in every bout except the third, where junior Catherine Ng won 5-0. Francis Lewis did attempt a rally in the final bout but the six point rally proved futile against the insurmountable final lead of 25 points.

Doreen led the epee team in touches while also setting a new career high with 17 touches. The balanced effort from the entire foil team tied junior starters Alondra Lerebours, Eva Jiang, and Catherine for the foil team’s highest scorer with 15 each.

With the conclusion of this game, the team has now defeated eevery team in Queens division once. Confidently, the team moves on to the remaining half of their season with sophomore Epee fencer Rebekah Jones saying, “The team is golden this year.”