Clothes speak louder than words

IN A school where the population is heavily female, wearing something that says, “Grab them by the p***y” would arouse considerable anger. So why is a shirt bearing the name of the man responsible for that quote any better? Donald Trump apparel is a sign of hate towards Muslims, Latinos, and women. One cannot throw his or her support behind Trump without condoning the horrible things he has said, and when you wear his name on your chest, you make your attitude towards many of your fellow Americans very clear.

Many of Trump’s stances on foreign policy and immigration are fraught with racism and ignorance, and one cannot claim to support him without acknowledging the hate that he spews. The problem with publicly supporting Trump is that you aren’t just supporting a politician and his ideas, but also showing support for a reality TV star and all of the racist, ignorant, and misogynistic statements he’s made along the campaign trail.

The nature of the Trump candidacy means that a t-shirt will invite hateful comments and incite shocked stares because of his radical stances. The idea that people could support him based purely on his economic policies or their hatred towards Clinton is preposterous. He is a radical, and one cannot support a radical half-heartedly. He is a volatile hot-head who hits every hot-button issue with an unpopular opinion for the sake of skyrocketing media ratings, and this makes him difficult to support purely as a politician.

When he said in one of his speeches, “When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their b est. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists,” or when he “a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States,” it was hard not to brand him as a racist.

It is certainly hard to distinguish Trump the politician from Trump the TV star who believes he can get away with anything, and if you support Trump enough to wear his name on a t-shirt, you probably support his racism and his misogyny. If you wear a Trump shirt after the Access Hollywood video was leaked, then it’s safe to assume that you condone those comments. And if his name is something that has come to represent such hatred, should apparel representing him even b e allowed in a school environment?