Do you even VSCO?

VSCO was originally a photo-editing app where people could improve the aesthetics of their photos with filters and effects. Now, it’s a term associated with scrunchies, metal straws and Hydro Flasks. Seemingly overnight, being a “VSCO girl” became the biggest trend of the summer season. 

However, this trend also brought lots of public judgement and stereotyping, despite the app’s originally good intentions. In the beginning, users liked VSCO because it was less toxic than Instagram, and was simply a platform to share and edit their photography. 

“Personally I use VSCO,” said Freshman Angelina McCabe, “but I don’t consider myself a VSCO girl because [I use] the app itself … mainly for editing.” 

Trends like these come about largely due to social media, influencers, and celebrities, often playing a big role in teenagers’ self-esteem who feel the need to always “fit in” by taking part in trends. Many fads like these emerge because teenagers feel the need to be like the majority, so they don’t stand out. 

Angelina compared the everchanging and temporary nature of trends to songs as she said, “if you listen to a song so much you start [to like it less]… because you get bored of hearing it.” 

Jaiden Del Rosario, another freshman at Townsend Harris feels, “I think trends [like these] have a major impact on a teenager’s social life because they can influence how peers view you, which in return can … shape your social life.” 

Whether you are a VSCO girl or not, one thing can be made certain: VSCO will continue to be a part of our lives as long as we have scrunchies, Hydro Flasks, and good photography.