Top five underrated holiday movies

As we enter this holiday season, the cold weather provides the perfect opportunity to curl up on the couch and watch some movies. However, this doesn’t necessarily mean you have to rewatch Home Alone for the millionth time. Here are the Classic’s top 5 underrated holiday movies: 

• Arthur Christmas (2011)

Each Christmas, Santa delivers gifts to every child in the world with the help of a high-tech operation beneath the North Pole. However, when Santa misses one child, it’s up to Arthur, Santa’s youngest son, to deliver the present before Christmas day. It’s hard not to love Arthur Christmas’ heartwarming nature and holiday enthusiasm. 

• Scrooge (1951)

Ill-tempered businessman Ebenezer Scrooge receives a surprise visit from the ghost of his late business partner on Christmas Eve, who warns Scrooge that three spirits intend to show Scrooge the error of his miserly ways. 

Out of the dozens of film adaptations based on the book “A Christmas Carol” by Charles Dickens, this one is hailed as unique because it takes the best aspects of Christmas – including fellowship and sacrifice – and shows they are relevant year-round. In the end, Scrooge’s personality completely transforms, not as a result of Christmas alone, but rather through Scrooge’s community as shown in the past, present, and future. 

• It’s a Wonderful Life (1947)

On Christmas Day, George Bailey is about to jump off a bridge and end his life. Right as he is about to jump off, his guardian angel, Clarence, saves him by showing him all the good he has done for his community. 

This holiday classic is one of the best reviewed movies of all time, so while it might not necessarily be underrated, it definitely is for today’s teens. The lead actor’s talent is evident as the film goes on. Since the film is in black and white, the focus is placed more on the resounding lines and memorable scriptwriting, rather than the images. The script wasn’t as overly dramatic as the synopsis suggested, and by the end, the viewer is rooting for George.

• An American Tail (1986)

Steven Spielberg’s allegory of the Jewish immigrant experience opens with the Mousekewitz family celebrating a bittersweet Hanukkah. This film explains the fictional story of the Mousekewitzes, a family of mice who emigrate to America in order to escape persecution from cats. Fievel Mousekewitz gets thrown off the ship to America by a strong storm and loses contact with his family. He eventually finds his way to New York, and with the help of friends, he is reunited with his family.

This story was unique and shockingly different from the previous Disney film because it referenced World War II and the different characters related to different groups oppressed by Germany. The beautifully animated film resonates with the public, and it tells a heartwarming story that everyone can appreciate.

• The Black Candle (2008)

This documentary showcases the yearly traditions and culture of African-Americans. It uses Kwanzaa as a means to tell the story of people who have experienced oppression but ultimately prevailed. People every year gather with their families to celebrate Kwanzaa, which is not only a celebration of unity, but a celebration of a culture that stands strong. 

The film uses images and videos of people that celebrate Kwanzaa from across the world combined with a voiceover from poet Maya Angelou, to tell the story of Kwanzaa. Angelou speaks about the holiday’s roots and how African-Americans overcame adversity. The film allows people to tell their own stories through their personal experiences and proudly showcase their culture.