STEM department grows with addition of four new teachers

This school year, Townsend Harris High School welcomed several new faculty members to the STEM department: teachers Brian Remy, Kayla Gill, Pawanpreet Kaur, and David Morse.

Kayla Gill is a math teacher in the Instructional Support Services (ISS) department. After graduating from Molloy College in May of 2019, she worked as a teacher’s assistant at Valley Stream Memorial Junior High School and as a math teacher at Sewanhaka High School. Ms. Gill shared how her experience at THHS has been terrific and smooth so far. When asked what her favorite aspect of Townsend was she answered: “The students of course! [They] are motivated, courteous and friendly. My favorite times of the day are when I can teach and interact with my students.”

Brian Remy will also be joining the ISS department at THHS, teaching both science and English. This is the third year that Mr. Remy is teaching in the Department of Education (DOE). He comes from a family of teachers and while deciding what to pursue as a career, he thought it would be a good idea to be a substitute in Manhattan. While working as a substitute, he realized his passion for education and explained how he learned a very valuable lesson that continues to resonate with him: “Education has the potential to unlock all of the problems in the world.” 

New chemistry teacher Pawanpreet Kaur is a THHS alum. After graduating in 2015, Mrs. Kaur went off to Hunter College and participated in the BA/MA program where she earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry and her Master’s Degree in Education. Mrs. Kaur’s inspiration for teaching blossomed as early as elementary school. “I always looked up to my teachers and saw them as role models,” she said. Mrs. Kaur’s desire to pursue teaching was solidified in college when she fell in love with the community service aspect of teaching. She explained, “I realized I wanted to give back to my community by positively impacting the lives of students.”

David Morse, THHS’ new temporary Math teacher, will only be at THHS for a year and respectfully declined an interview at this time.

Despite these unprecedented times, several of the new teachers shared what they are looking forward to most this school year.

Mr. Remy said, “Townsend Harris is such a welcoming place. Since my first day, every person I spoke with has been warm and helpful. I am amazed by how much support exists in this school. I look forward to growing in my position at Townsend Harris.” 

Mrs. Kaur added, “I look forward to getting to know my students and helping them in any way I can, especially during these unusual times.” 

Photos courtesy of Mr. Remy, Ms. Gill, Mrs. Kaur, and Mr. Morse