DIY Christmas Decor and Other Tricks

By Fiona Zheng and Christopher Crisanto, Staff Writers

With Christmas just around the corner, many students and faculty may be scrambling to find ways to make this year a little more special than the last. Here are some of our favorite DIYs for those of you who are looking to spend a little less this holiday season, plus some bonus customization tips. 

1. Snow Globe Cookie Jar
    1. Looking for something to place on your countertop? All you need is a cookie jar and paint. Paint the outside of your cookie jar with small white dots, add a cute ribbon, and you’re all set! Of course, don’t forget the cookies!
  2. Topiary Ball 
    1. Find your stash of styrofoam balls and paint it red. Once dry, start gluing your red pistachios all around the ball, and you’re done! You can display your masterpiece on your favorite candle holder or egg cup.
  3. Spare Little Tree
    1. Is your living room too small to put up a Christmas tree? No need to worry! With only a branch lying around and a couple of christmas ornaments, you can bring the joy of Christmas to your workspace.
  4. Chandelier Decor
    1. Want to add a little festivity to your light shades? Grab some washi tape and add some color and pattern into your shades! One of our favorite, simple designs is adding a strip of red washi tape to the top and bottom of each shade!
  5. Popsicle Stick Snowflakes
    1. Got spare popsicle sticks? Gather a few, as well as some hot glue, and get to work on these snowflakes. Every snowflake is unique so there’s no correct way to make them. Just grab your popsicle sticks and let your creativity run free! And once you’re finished with your design, hang these snowflakes anywhere around your house.
  6. A Cheery Welcome
    1. For this Christmas decoration you’ll need a glue gun, some construction paper, a wreath hanger, and foam core or cardboard. First you’ll want to use an X-Acto knife to cut your phrase letters out of foam core or cardboard. Then use some construction paper to add some Christmas flair to your design and glue the phrase letters onto it. Hang your wreath hanger and glue your new Christmas decoration onto it for a cheery welcome!
  7. Candy Canes – On Your Window
    1. Do you have some extra candy canes lying around your house? You can make use of these treats by using ribbons to hang them around your window! 
  8. Display Christmas Cards
    1. Do you have a spot on the wall that you can’t seem to fill? Get some string, clothespins, and your favorite Christmas cards, and display those cards with some festive lights!
  9. Star Chair Decoration
    1. Are your chairs not feeling the Christmas spirit? No worries! Cut out some colorful paper stars and hang them on the backs of the chairs!

There are many more festive DIYs outside of this list, but we hope these favorites will help to spark your creativity! Those of you who are looking for an inexpensive and efficient holiday season this time around might want to consider turning to DIYs. “DIYs are great because they’re… affordable,” noted sophomore Rachael Barnes, “and they help to use up things that may just be lying around the house.”

Photo from Pixabay