With the Friends Reunion to air in a few hours, here’s what to expect

It’s been over 26 years since the beloved sitcom Friends premiered, and for the first time since the show last aired in 2004, all six of the main cast members will be appearing together for a reunion. The special was officially announced in February of 2020 and was originally scheduled to air in May of last year. However, filming was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. On April 11, almost a full year after the special’s initial intended release date, the Friends official Instagram account revealed that filming had wrapped, posting an exclusive picture of the set. On May 13, a short trailer for the reunion was released by HBOMax along with the release date. The show airs tomorrow, May 27. 

The special is set to star all six of the actors who made up the show’s iconic friend group: Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc, David Schwimmer, and Matthew Perry, all of whom will be reuniting at their original Warner Bros. soundstage in Burbank, California. The actors will not be in character for the reunion — there will be an unscripted conversation where fans can expect to see the cast engaging in a talk-show style discussion and reminiscing on their memories filming the show. The cast members may have some surprises up their sleeves and may also revisit the set and their cherished roles for some brief skits and scene reenactments. In an interview on The Graham Norton Show, David Schwimmer, who played Ross Geller, said, “There is one section, I don’t want to give away where we all read something.” 

The reunion will also pay homage to the nostalgia surrounding the cherished television series, featuring set pieces and props from the show (including the famous water fountain), as well as exclusive behind the scenes content. According to TMZ, the special was shot in just three days in front of a live audience. Viewers can expect to see familiar faces as well, with celebrity cameos such as Justin Bieber, BTS, Lady Gaga, James Corden, Malala Yousafzai, David Beckham, and more. Special guest appearances will also be made by fan favorite Friends characters including Jill Green played by Reese Witherspoon, Janice Hosenstein played by Maggie Wheeler, Richard Burke played by Tom Selleck, and Gunther played by James Michael Tyler. 

Although the current Harrisites were not born or too young to remember the series’ initial airing, Friends remains one of the most popular TV series among Gen Z. “I’m super excited about the Friends reunion because I love how every single one of the characters had their own unique perks. Nothing can top the original, but it’ll be cool to see them back together,” senior Zoe Tylipakis said. The show’s timeless quality across generations stems from the in-person relationships and genuine closeness of the friends, something seen as admirable for a generation born into the era of social media. 

In a time where meeting with friends without the need for social distancing and wearing face masks is a distant memory for many , Friends has served as a much needed escape from this reality. Turning on an episode and feeling as if you’re hanging out with Rachel, Joey, Monica, Ross, Phoebe, and Chandler in Central Perk cafe has has offered the chance of escaping the current quarantine. ”Whether it’s your first time watching or have been a fan for years, everyone who has fallen in love with the characters and their unique adventures can look forward to seeing the cast unite on screen once again.