With Yale and Dartmouth bringing back required test scores, test-optional admissions policies may be on their way out

Yale+University+implements+a+%E2%80%98flexible-testing%E2%80%99+policy+for+the+class+of+2025+admissions+cycle+
Pixabay
Yale University implements a ‘flexible-testing’ policy for the class of 2025 admissions cycle

Yale University has announced that it is reversing the test-optional application policy for applicants from the class of 2025. Since the COVID-19 pandemic, many colleges shifted admissions procedures to allow students the choice to submit their SAT/ACT scores or to apply without listing standardized scores. After four years of this policy, Yale will begin a test-flexible policy, which requires test score submissions but gives applicants a wider range of choices for those submissions. Following Dartmouth University’s decision to reinstate test score requirements, this latest return to standardized testing suggests that for the Class of 2025, the college application landscape may be on the verge of another major shift.

The test-optional policy was originally meant to provide equal advantages for students of all backgrounds and socioeconomic statuses. However, according to Dean of Undergraduate Admissions Jeremiah Quinlan, applicants who did not send their scores were less likely to be admitted. He also said that high test scores are “the single greatest predictor of a student’s performance in Yale courses in every model we have constructed.” As a result, Yale will require test scores, but rather than just focusing on the SAT or the ACT, Yale will also accept Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate exam scores.

“I went test-optional while applying,” said senior Matthew Pulick. “I think that the ability to conceal my scores is an important one, but it is nice that they are willing to look not only at the SAT. It makes it less daunting for students taking the SAT. In a way, you can hand pick what you want the universities to see.”

Guidance Counselor Ana Irma Patete said that while she does not have a personal opinion on the announcement, she believes “there are more factors to consider when admitting students than just the SAT or the ACT.” 

Junior Julie Remache said, “While I am glad about this, it is also a bit scary because the class of 2025 will be the first to experience this change.” 

Junior Ellie Teytelman said, “I think it’s good that a big-name school such as Yale is allowing for more flexibility for their applicants. In my opinion, it is meant to ease up the admission process while maintaining diversity, something you cannot really do with only the SAT or ACT.” 

“Not all students are able to demonstrate their full academic abilities through the SAT. Yale’s inclusion of other exams will be very helpful,” Ellie said.