40th Anniversary Throwbacks: Musical Performers Shine In Annual Spring Concert

Reagan Purama
The Spring Concert held during the school day.

This article was first published in June 1987. It is from the sixth edition of the third volume of The Classic. Since the annual spring concert was held tonight, we noticed this article in the archive and have chosen a throwback to our very first Spring Concert.

Throughout the year, The Classic will be celebrating the paper’s fortieth anniversary by republishing articles that have never appeared online. See the original article below.

The first annual evening spring concert featured performances by the Townsend Harris Concert Band, Chorus, and Top 40 Band, as well as several solo and ensemble performances on May 13.

The Concert Band and Chorus opened the evening with the “Star Spangled Banner” and the Townsend Harris Alma Mater. Conductor Walter K. Davis and the Band continued with “Champions on Parade,” “Souvenir de Tschaikowsky” and “Baby Elephant.”

The Chorus, led by David Briskin, then performed “Duet from Cantata No. 78,” “Puttin’ on the Ritz,” and “Duet for Two Cat.”

Ensemble and solo performances included “The Fantastic Three” tap dancer, “The Elephant Dance” performed by baritone saxophonist Jordan Avni, and “Tenderly” performed by trumpeter Robin Bacigalupo.

The evening ended with the Top 40 Band’s performance of Bill Withers’ “Lean on Me” arranged and conducted by Robert Lewis.