The Editors Sign Off

Classic Memories

by Genna Mastellone

I have very few memories of my high school career that don’t include The Classic – mostly because of the sheer amount of time I’ve spent working on it.

I’ve been a member since the first months of my freshman year, when I was too scared to approach sophomores to interview them for a SING article. The Classic helped me form friendships, gain confidence, and learn the art of avoiding the passive voice (although I’ll never stop using it). The Classic taught me to take risks – like becoming co-editor-in-chief my junior year or attempting to write stories the day before the paper was going to printer.

This year especially, with the help of Mr. Sweeney and a new and improved staff, we’ve been able to take more risks than ever. It’s been a challenging year, but a year that has left me 100% certain that The Classic will be able to thrive.

Nobody would ever accuse me of thinking positively about the future, but I see The Classic going major places. If Mr. Sweeney has his way, we’ll be the best high school newspaper in the world within the next few months, and surpass The New York Times by January.

The editors-in-chief of the Classic from 2011-2013.
The editors-in-chief of The Classic from 2011-2013.

Passing the Torch

by Michael Sanchez

It’s been a privilege to serve as this newspaper’s co-editor-in-chief for the past two years, and nothing I’ve done could’ve been accomplished without this fantastic staff. Last year’s edition of The Classic pales in comparison to the tremendous accomplishments of this year’s.

I owe a lot of this to my fellow editors for their dedication to The Classic, to our newspaper staff for their ingenuity and creativity, to Mr. Olechowski for helping us through our transition period, and to our advisor Mr. Sweeney. He is the one that helped us take the newspaper into a new direction and made our jobs seem like more of a pastime than an obligation. The Classic’s rebirth could not have been done without him, and on behalf of all the editors, I’d like to say thank you.

To the future editors of this paper, I pass the torch to you. I’m expecting next year’s edition to blow this out of the water, boss’s orders.

To the readers, I thank you for continuing to support our paper, even through difficult times.

The Classic is merely a retelling of your experiences, and no matter who holds the title of editor-in-chief, you will always dictate the direction of your award winning publication.

News

by Ella Leviyeva

I’m so grateful for the friendships I’ve made in our closet of an office, both with my fellow editors and with the Tozt delivery men.

Although I’m sad to leave, I’m incredibly excited for the future of the paper. I have so much faith in Mr. Sweeney and his minions, I mean editors. Thank you for everything Mr. Sweeney, you’ve been a phenomenal advisor and mentor, and I speak for all of the graduating editors when I say, we will never forget you.

Sports

by Dimitri Theofanis

As my journey with The Classic comes to an end, I can reflect back with nothing but gratitude for everything this paper has taught me.

As a writer and editor, I have been able to hone my skills as a writer by both writing and editing, but more importantly I have been able to polish my people skills and learn how to effectively gather information.

Though I will miss being sports editor, I am confident that the paper is being left in excellent hands.

Features

by Vanessa Martinez

I never expected that joining The Classic would be such a memorable experience. However, it turned out to be one of the best decisions I’ve made. I gained the opportunity to take part in events that I wouldn’t have otherwise, and from that I was able to expand my interests while being part in creating something everyone could enjoy. I truly enjoyed being part of The Classic.

It’ll always be one of the most cherished memories of my time at Townsend Harris.

Copy

by John Indergaard

Leaving The Classic is filled with bittersweet emotion for me. On the one hand, I am  disappointed to be leaving just as the paper is experiencing a massive overhaul in quality.

On the other hand, however, I am completely confident that the next generation of editors and writers will be more than capable of bringing The Classic to places we haven’t even dreamed of.  The time I’ve spent bent over other people’s articles, cutting and polishing, has been incredibly rewarding.