THHS Ranks 7th Best High School in NY

Townsend Harris High School is ranked 7th on the list of best high schools in New York, according to US News and World Reports.

The rankings are based on college readiness, graduation rate, and proficiency in basic skills. THHS is also  the only school in the top 10 of the New York ranking to have a 100% graduation rate.

Junior Julia Izak commented, “I’m not surprised Townsend placed so highly because everyone tries so hard to get the best grades they can and to reach such high standards. This leaves a good impression on the school, and that’s why we placed 7th.”

THHS outplaced others, such as specialized high schools Stuyvesant High School and The Bronx High School of Science, which focus on the maths and sciences. THHS was one of the few humanities based high schools to place in the top 10.

The High School of American Studies at Lehman College ranked first, followed by Manhattan Bridges High School and High School of Math, Science, and Engineering at City College of New York (CCNY).

Algebra and geometry teacher Aleeza Widman said, “I think we should have ranked #1! I reviewed the list and all of the schools on there from what I know are fabulous schools as well.  I think something that makes our community really special is our size, [which is] big enough to offer lots of great programs, but small enough to feel like a family.  I love that I know almost the entire student body, even students who weren’t in my classes.”

Sophomore Sarah Deonarain responded with, “I don’t think we are much different from specialized high schools. The students at Townsend might be more ambitious, and that is reflected in our ranking.”

Freshman Annabella Li stated, “I feel proud to be part of such an amazing community of both intelligent yet infinitely talented students. Townsend is a highly independent school that doesn’t have to rely on  the title of a specialized high school in order for it to be recognized. We are definitely one of a kind, and give off a more approachable feeling that can’t be found anywhere else.”