The sounds of love: Songs to close out your Valentine’s Day

Valentine’s Day is here, but due to the pandemic, it may be simply spent at home: possibly as a self-care day, a day to sleep in, or just simply a day to appreciate people you love. Whatever your Valentine’s Day may look like, music is a must on this occasion. From party songs to some alone-time bops, this playlist has it all covered for you. From the saddest to the happiest, here are 5 songs to help spruce up this special day. 

1. All of Me: John Legend

“All of Me” is one of the greatest love songs of all time, written by a true legend John Legend. This love song was written for his fiancée Chrissy Teigen at the time in order to explain how he loves her so dearly. Junior Lynda Irizarry said ,“[The song is] such a powerful and romantic song sung by a man with so much passion.”

2. Drivers License: Olivia Rodrigo 

In just 6 days from its initial release date, “Driver’s License” hit 76.1 million streams in the United States alone. Every lyric draws in listeners to connect to their own love stories and imaginations of love. What makes this song particularly significant to high schoolers is that throughout the song, Rodrigo reflects on her personal love story, which resembles a romance that many high school students are familiar with. 

3. All I Want: Olivia Rodrigo 

“All I Want” is a song written by Olivia Rodrigo that was featured in High School Musical: The Musical: The Series. This song has made its way into many hearts as students are familiar with the song due to its popularity on TikTok in 2020. Each line of the song has a deep meaning, as Rodrigo describes wanting the perfect person while also doubting if she would ever find them. 

4. Dancing with a Stranger: Sam Smith, Normani

This song was one of the most played radio songs in 2019 and was labeled “Song of The Year” at the 2020 BMI London Awards. Although the popularity of this song has died out, it is still a beautiful song to listen to and just dance one’s heart out with. The harmony of the male and female voices really ties the song together and makes you feel in a trance, almost as if you are actually dancing with a stranger. 

5. What Makes You Beautiful: One Direction

As sophomore Arietta Xylas said, “One Direction has a lot of cute love songs that people just love to scream along to.” Listening to this particular song by One Direction will definitely take you down memory lane: particularly the year 2011 when their rise to fame attracted millions around the world. This British-Irish boy band will never fail to impress you, especially when it comes to some nostalgic songs about teenage love.