Opinion Roundup: Students share their opinions on the new homework policy

Aki Benjamin
Harrisites share opinions on the new homework policy.

An email containing information about the new THHS homework policy was sent to students on March 7 by the THHS administration. According to the email, Mr. Condon and a group of teachers worked together to develop a new homework policy after receiving feedback from parents about various consistency issues. The new homework policy included new requirements for homework amounts and explanations, a universal online deadline of 8 AM across all classes, and information about make-ups.

Students and teachers’ reactions varied from ambiguous to fully supportive of the new homework policy. In a series of interviews with The Classic, students gave their opinions:

Pullquote Photo

“First of all, I think it’s good because the assignments are due the next day at 8 o’clock, it means we can sleep early and wake up early, with a more healthy schedule. Also, it helps us study in the morning rather than late at night.”

— Sophomore Yam Yik Zheng

Pullquote Photo

“I don’t see it having a dramatic effect on the way I teach. Previously, I would have assignments due at 11:59pm, and instead I’m just gonna have them due at 8am. You know, it doesn’t even matter to me much either way. If it’s helpful for students, if it helps them get organized, then it’s great.”

— AP Macroeconomics Teacher Jamie Baranoff

Pullquote Photo

“I mean. I take AP Physics 1. I think it’s pretty good. As a senior, it’s nice to have that extra time for AP classes.”

— Senior Ioanna Giannopoulou

Pullquote Photo

“I definitely agree with this new policy. It’s very good.”

— Freshman Kristen Lee

Pullquote Photo

“It’s good for students who spend a lot of their time in extracurriculars and need that extra amount of time at night to finish their work and get more things done, if they need.”

— Junior Andrew Gurcharan