WandaVision: the start of Marvel’s new vision

As more and more streaming services release original content, Disney+ has recently discovered its place among the top original content providers. Starting with the acclaimed series The Mandalorian, Disney is expanding its library of TV shows with the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s (MCU) first foray into television, WandaVision

Unlike other Marvel productions, WandaVision veers away from the action and adventure that fans are used to seeing, and leans more towards the mystery and psychological thriller genres. As of the sixth episode, the show relies more heavily on the skills of their actors and storytellers rather than jaw-dropping visuals and engaging fight scenes (expect much more action and visuals though as it’s reported that the show budget is 225 million dollars). Sophomore John-Carlos Mateo said, “[The show is] entertaining, and special in its own way.”

The release starts off in a rather unorthodox way, to say the least. Marvel portrayed Wanda and Vision as a newlywed couple struggling to assimilate to suburban life in their new home in Westview. Drawing inspiration and sometimes making direct references to the classic shows The Dick Van Dyke Show and Bewitched, the show truly embraces a sitcom-like style in its first two episodes. As ISS teacher and film enthusiast Kevin Schwab put it, “[handling] the balance of cheesy comedy with dramatic tension masterfully.” The slow, but interesting start started to pick up speed as the third episode was unveiled. The subtle clues that had been stitched into the first two episodes were finally pieced together, and shed light on the real plot developing right under viewers’ noses. The latest episodes continued this trend and progressed the plot into uncharted territory as the return of previous Marvel characters and surprising revelations left fans hanging on to their seats.

The release of WandaVision pilots Phase 4 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the new direction Marvel wants to explore in this era. For one, WandaVision’s success will give Marvel and Disney more inspiration to create new TV shows, a territory that was pretty much uncharted for the studio prior to WandaVision. Also, Marvel will most likely be utilizing the Disney + streaming platform even more now that hundreds of delighted fans have flocked to the streaming service to watch the show. Furthermore, and this is where we issue a spoiler alert, WandaVision does a great job introducing 20th Century Fox’s X-Men universe into the MCU, with the appearance of a certain beloved character in one of the episodes. Thanks to this, we now can begin to predict how the MCU will further incorporate the famed superhero team. WandaVision also introduced a new agency similar to S.H.I.E.L.D. named S.W.O.R.D, which will most likely become more and more prominent later on in the MCU as new extraterrestrial characters and threats enter the scene. One of the most noticeable features of this show were the small callbacks to previous Marvel films such as Avengers: Endgame and even Captain Marvel. Although it isn’t necessary to watch all the past 23 MCU films, those who have watched some of them would be more likely to find the viewing experience as a heart-felt and overall thrilling ride.

Overall, the show is a solid 9/10 thanks to its expectation-shattering twists, compelling plots, and actors’ star power, mainly Elizabeth Olson and Paul Bettany, who play Wanda Maximoff and Vision, respectively. While some of the show’s sitcom aspects don’t do it justice, the hidden cryptic elements within each episode make you theorize and puzzle over the show. As Sophomore Leonardo Finzi said, “[The show] is incredibly interesting and has dark Twilight-Zone twists that leave me wanting more every Friday.”

WandaVision is a well-made show that will captivate many Marvel fans as Marvel Studios kicks off the long-awaited Phase 4 of the MCU. As Mr. Schwab put it, WandaVision is a nice supplemental series to accompany the MCU films and opens the doorway (or mystical portal) to the next phase of storytelling.” Episode 7 of WandaVision airs today.