Here are the top NYC education news stories of the week

As the start of the school year looms around the corner, many changes have been implemented into the school system that will greatly impact this upcoming fall.  The Classic has gathered the most important news from this week from local news outlets.

NYC parents and teachers rally for a remote school option

From an article by Michael Elsen-Rooney of New York Daily News: “A group of Bronx parents and city teachers rallied in Lower Manhattan Wednesday for a remote schooling option this fall.  Parents say they still have safety concerns with an uptick in city coronavirus cases from the Delta variant and limited vaccination among city kids. [Parents also] don’t trust city officials to safely manage the influx of returning students.”

Task force for ‘healing-centered’ NYC schools recommends removal of police officers, increased family involvement

From an article by Michael Elsen-Rooney of New York Daily News: Task force members said the DOE needs to ‘rebuild trust’ with families still skeptical of sending their kids back to in-person school by ‘acknowledging the harm that staff and families experienced last year [and] take responsibility for the DOE’s role in perpetuating that harm.’”

NYC rolls out comprehensive Academic Recovery Plan for public schools

From an article by ABC7 New York (WABC-TV): “New York City is rolling out a comprehensive program designed to upgrade the quality of its public schools. The curriculum calls for adding nine million new books to classroom libraries, emphasizing culturally responsive titles, new classroom support materials, and targeted professional development programs for teachers and staff.”