The five most bingeworthy shows of the summer

With the height of the summer upon us, streaming platforms offer a respite from the simmering heat with an abundance of shows, whether with fresh new series or the chance to revisit old hits. To get a sense of which shows have garnered the most popularity on the streaming landscape this summer, The Classic asked which were the most binge-worthy shows of the season. Below are some of our audience’s favorites along with our own recommendations. 

Stranger Things – Netflix

There are multiple reasons why this show should be watched. First: its popularity. Popularity might not always be the best way to decide if something is good, but this is the show of the summer. In a poll The Classic posted to Instagram asking students to share which shows they are watching, this show was far and away the winner. Everyone is talking about it. 

If you want to get in on those conversations and be ready to talk about season four’s biggest surprises and cliffhangers, watch Stranger Things. If you haven’t heard anything about it, the show centers on a small town in Indiana where a group of teenagers end up continually protecting themselves and the town from monsters who have escaped from a parallel dimension. The show has gotten new and old viewers to come back to watch its newest season and is known for its ability to grab people’s interest due to its suspenseful and mysterious nature.

The Summer I Turned Pretty – Amazon Prime Video

The Summer I Turned Pretty is a fairly new show, and in addition to Stranger Things is the most recommended by the students who responded to The Classic’s Instagram poll. Based on the books by author Jenny Han (author of To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before), this show is one of the top shows on Amazon Prime right now.  

It is about a girl named Belly who looks forward to the summer every year. She’s been going to a town called Cousins ever since she was a toddler. As the show’s synopsis reads, the series is about “first love, first heartbreak, and the magic of that one perfect summer.” At key moments, songs from Taylor Swift appear, which has lots of people talking.

Riverdale – Netflix

Since its start in 2017, this show has had its ups and downs, and with the latest season arriving on Netflix this August, students will have a lot to discuss and debate. Despite its early criticisms on the quality of show-writing and character development, the show has become more self-aware of its dramatic, erratic storytelling with the introduction of a supernatural element. It’s a show that hinges on its campiness, enrapturing viewers while it goes off the rails in such a way that people simply can’t peel their eyes away from the wreckage.

Set in the fictional small town of Riverdale, the show takes a unique spin on the Archie Comics universe. Following the murder of a teenager, a group of highschoolers set out to investigate the dark mysteries looming over the town as they navigate the anxieties of growing up.

Grey’s Anatomy – Netflix

Grey’s Anatomy first aired in 2005 and it is still going on 17 years later. The show follows the day-to-day personal drama of medical interns and other hospital staff. Even though this show is now the same age as our rising senior class, it still has a lot of teen viewers who are watching and discussing it.

Grey’s Anatomy is the best show for the summer because it is very long and perfect to binge watch. There is a reason why this show has lasted for 18 seasons. 

The Vampire Diaries – Netflix

This show is the only one on our list that is no longer producing new episodes. It ended in 2017 but still has a loyal following. We are recommending it because it’s leaving Netflix soon, so watch it while you can (unless you have an HBO Max subscription, as it will be there in September). 

Set in the fictitious town of Mystic Falls, Virginia, the show follows the newly orphaned Elena Gilbert as she falls in love with the nearly two-century old vampire Stefan Salvatore. The show explores the complexities of coming of age shadowed by the town’s supernatural underpinnings.

Additional Reporting by Maria Mattei

Image courtesy of Pixabay