Harrisites share their 2024 Townsend Resolutions

Lynn Huang

As 2023 has now come to an end, the start of a new year brings feelings of anticipation, hope, and the promise of a fresh start. Harrisites have set their sights on creating academic goals in order to make the most of the upcoming year and build better habits, preparing to shape brighter, more fulfilling academic journeys with their resolutions.

Many Harrisites are committed to making the most of the opportunities that lie ahead in 2024 and are determined to focus on their grades. Junior Freddy Yu said, “My new year’s resolution would be to work more productively and maintain a good GPA while putting as much time into my extracurriculars, do well in robotics, get [into] a research program, and win a math competition.” 

Looking forward to the regents and SATs, Harrisites are also setting goals to do well on these exams. Sophomore Shapnil Kazi said, “At my sophomore year at Townsend, my academic goals for the year are to make sure I do well on the Regents and in all my classes, especially the harder ones I am taking. Also, later in the year I need to start preparing for the SAT as I will be taking it junior year.”

In order to complete these goals, Harrisites have already started incorporating certain habits into their daily routines for the upcoming year. Junior Danielis Baez said, “My academic goals would be to minimize procrastination and work on time management. [I will get] a calendar and planner so I can keep [track of] my days and progress.” Freddy also said, “I plan to achieve my goals by doing a lot of competitive math practice, essay writing and getting used to working long hours.” 

Similarly, senior Charles Hartman said, “Now that I don’t have to worry about college apps anymore, I really think I’ll have more time to focus on schoolwork. I’ve been using a planner recently to try and give myself structure.” For Charles and many other students, staying disciplined and being able to manage time is a key factor in achieving academic goals. 

Other Harrisites simply wish to maintain their current academic performance. Freshman Aleah Tercero said, “I don’t really have any special goals, but I’m just looking forward to only staying healthy and happy. I’m satisfied with everything right now.” 

From organization to better overall management, Harrisites are already working towards their goals for this academic semester and the upcoming year.