Harrisites talk self care for the winter

Anya Basnayake
With snow coming this winter for the first time in a while, it’s time to think about self care

In the midst of the winter season, new beauty routines have been trending again on TikTok, Instagram, and other social media apps. Harrisites shared their different perspectives on self-care this season.  

The style of  ‘cold girl makeup’ in particular has grown very popular on TikTok, with different creators creating their own spin on Zoe Kim Kenealy’s simple, yet charming style of winter makeup. By focusing on three major aspects: blush, highlight, and lips, anyone can achieve this well-known makeup look. 

The idea is to create a ‘heavily blushing’ effect on your face with cool tones, emulating the look of being out in the cold for too long through a light brush of pink that should be applied to the cheeks and nose. For highlight, many use a cool-toned white or silver shade to accentuate their nose bridge, cheekbones, and their eyes for that ‘dewy-frost’ appearance. Lastly, the popsicle lip gradient is used to create the appearance of windburn, where the center of the lip has a concentrated color and its color fades as it approaches the top and bottom of the lip.

However, it may not be the most conventional makeup style for everyone due to how long the process may take and its inability to suit everyone’s style. Senior Ella Kim said, “I’ve heard of cold girl makeup. I think it’s really cute on certain people but, I personally always get so red during winter that the makeup style doesn’t work well for me.” 

Harrisites are also emphasizing how a lack of self-care can negatively impact both your physical and mental health. With students clamoring to take as many AP courses, extracurriculars, and outside responsibilities as possible, many students have experienced sleep deprivation through the winter, becoming a longstanding problem at THHS. 

Ella gave an introspective reminder to fellow Harrisites that they should nurture their mental well-being as a part of their self-care as well, saying “I would say write down one thing you are thankful for each day… This helps [you] reflect and remember what happened throughout the day, giving [yourself] a moment to pause and think.” 

Freshman Wing Yan Tan said, “In general, sleep well and don’t stay up late [because] it’s really bad for your health and skin, especially [coming] from experience. Although looking your best may be important, it’s helpful to feel your best as well.”

Freshman Michael Chen said, “Along with your mental health, make sure to take care of your physical health [by] doing basic exercise, maintaining hygiene, and eating healthy..”

In addition to self-care, the emphasis on skincare has skyrocketed as a central component of everyday routines in recent years, and the expectation does not vary during the colder months. Students have recommended continuing to use sunscreen despite the chilly weather as well as adding new products to their routine.

Junior Ava Jack said, “Now that it’s cold, you should be wearing sunscreen… you should be wearing it regardless of the weather and [applying] more moisturizer, it’s cold [so] put it on to keep your skin from drying out faster.”  

Junior Marcelo Matias said, “The winter season can dry out your skin to the point where it can bleed or start cracking. It’s important to use a cream-based moisturizer or Aquaphor to prevent it from damage. I always carry some product with me to ensure that my skin doesn’t dry out, whether it be Vaseline, Aquaphor, or any type of moisturizer.” 

With all these factors taken into consideration, Harrisites are learning to alter their everyday self-care and beauty routines to accommodate themselves for the chilly winter season that has arrived.