Plans for mid-winter break: FON rehearsals, early AP prep, travel, and taking it easy

Katherine Lian
Students plan to do academic and recreational activities over Mid-Winter break.

After a rigorous six weeks of classes, exams, and extracurriculars, Harrisites are winding down this week for the mid-winter break. Before the break began, numerous students shared their plans for the vacation. Some said they are excited to have a long-awaited rest after a long and stressful semester, while others want to use this time to catch up on their academic studies to better prepare for the rest of the spring semester. 

Many Harrisites plan to travel and enjoy their long break in a new country, providing them with new and memorable experiences. Thus, the break offers an opportunity for cultural immersion and exploration. 

Senior Liam Trimble said, “My family and I are planning to travel to Paris for the break. It has been a lifelong dream of my mom, so we decided to book a trip. I’m excited to explore the city and visit landmarks, such as the Eiffel Tower and Versailles.”

Freshman Ananya Detering shares similar plans and said, “My family is taking a trip to Guatemala to celebrate my mom’s 50th birthday. We’ve planned a lot of activities for this trip, such as hiking, swimming, and trying out the local cuisine, which I’m very excited for.”

Freshman Janae-Saige Moore said, “My family is traveling to Jamaica over the break since my mom was born and raised there. I’m very excited to visit the country and explore my culture more in-depth.”

Other students plan to use the break as a chance to have a mental reset. This grants them the opportunity to catch up on overdue work and begin studying as AP exams and Regents are quickly approaching. 

Sophomore Esther Quartey said, “I plan to create a study schedule to prepare for upcoming exams. I’ll dedicate most of my break time to studying. When I return, I have AP exams to prepare for, so I hope to get ahead and catch up during the break.”

Similarly, sophomore Shapnil Kazi said, “Over the break I plan to stay disciplined, continue my usual schedule of activities, such as going to the gym, but still make sure to give myself time to do any work that I have.”

Junior Ramisa Sharif said, “The break gives me time to study for the competition seasons of Japan Bowl and Science Olympiad as well as catch up on my studies. I really need this time to relax and take things slow as I approach the spring semester.” 

However, balancing productivity and relaxation proves to be a challenge, and many students are finding different ways to balance both during the break. Liam recognizes the need to stay on top of school work even during his trip. He said, “I’ll need to keep up with my studies, even while visiting Paris. I plan to use the plane ride to study for AP Chemistry and my linear Algebra class as needed.”

Junior Sithi Das said, “I will be catching up on much-deserved rest during the break, but I will also strive to be productive by leading FON meetings and stage rehearsals. We need this time to sharpen our dances as well as get a much-needed break.” 

Harrisites have many plans this mid-winter break, as they travel to new countries, catch up on studies, and are more productive during the new semester. Many students hope to return to school with a new and refreshed mindset, allowing them to tackle the rest of the school year.