Kings of Leon are ruling once again with new album Mechanical Bull

After 3 years, the Kings of Leon are back with their new album, Mechanical Bull.

The alt-rockers, formed in 1999, features brothers Caleb Followill, Nathan Followill, Jared Followill and their cousin Matthew Followill. They’ve released 6 albums since 2003’s Youth and Young Manhood. The band has previously won a Grammy for radio-hit “Use Somebody,” off their album Only by the Night. Mechanical Bull is their first album since 2010’s Around Sundown.

The first song off the album, “Supersoaker” was released as the lead single back in July. This song starts the album off with soul, thanks to front man Caleb Followill. The upbeat instrumental, and the catchy chorus come together to make it a brilliant song. “Rock City” extends the enthusiasm from the lead single.  The song is reminiscent of “Black Thumbnail” from Because of the Times. “Don’t Matter” is an upbeat southern-rock jam with bluesy guitar riffs à la the Black Keys. “Beautiful War”, a country-rock ballad, truly highlights Followill’s voice and the thumping base drum creates the vast and expansive arena-rock sound that is signature to Kings of Leon. “Family Tree” starts off with a groovy base-line, bringing in a funky mood to the song, before the authentic blues guitar riffs kick-in. “Comeback Story” features a witty chorus: “I walk a mile in your shoes/And now I’m a mile away/And I’ve got your shoes”. “Tonight” has a similar mood to “Comeback Story”, but is easily forgettable compared to the rest of the album. “Coming Back Again” is the penultimate, with a great beat to it and lively lyrics. “On the Chin” ends the album with a much slower tempo than the previous song, but an end fitting to Kings of Leon.

This album shows who the Kings of Leon really are, with catchy blues guitar rhythms and soulful vocals. My favorites from the album are, “Supersoaker” and “Coming Back Again”.