Boys Volleyball team members share spring goals

Nicolas Lee

The boys volleyball team at one of their games.

With the start of the boys volleyball season comes new individual and team oriented goals. After a tough season last year, placing fourth in the Queens A division, the team has adopted a different attitude towards success. With several new athletes joining the team this year, Boys Volleyball hopes to rebuild while having fun and growing along the way. 

This season, the team’s coach is Elvis Hanif. Coach Hanif spoke to The Classic about his plans for the season. 

“We have a lot of new players who are invested and enjoying the game, and I think that’s going to build a solid foundation for a very prosperous future for the boys volleyball team,” he said. “My goal for this season is to develop a program of students who are committed and dedicated to the sport. Expectations wise, play our very best at every game.”

Junior Co-Captain Nicolas Lee said, “My goal for this season is to have fun, build team chemistry, and if wins result from that, then that’s just gonna be a bonus.” 

Freshman Brian Merino said, “I really want to just have fun for the season, and of course, win some games. But losing is not a big deal because as long as we improve as a team, we win in our hearts.”

So far, the team has a record of two wins and four losses. They were victorious against John Bowne High School and Martin Van Buren High School but lost against Benjamin N. Cardozo High School, Francis Lewis High School, and Bayside High School.  

Senior Andy Chen said, “My goals are to have fun, make playoffs, improve as a team, and create happy memories that I can look back on in the future. I also hope to teach and guide the underclassmen towards success, as they will soon become the leaders of our team.” 

Senior Michael Zheng said, “I want our team to go as far as possible while having fun, as well as use this season as a learning experience to fuel our love and knowledge of the sport.” 

In regards to improving within the sport, sophomore Rodrigo Aquino said, “I hope to gain the volleyball knowledge that will be passed down to me by the upperclassmen, and I’m excited to be able to play and get that in-game experience for the first time.” 

Sophomore Tristan Vergara said, “I hope to grow and apply my volleyball knowledge during both practices and games.” He adds that he hopes to work on his form and utilize his nature as a lefty to secure a position as a right side hitter. Brian also said, “I really want to grow as a player and advance my technical skills. I am really inspired by the seniors and all their dedication to the sport, so I want to improve as much as possible so I could reach their level one day.” 

“I look forward to seeing the progress we achieve throughout the season, and am especially excited about seeing new players–rookies–find a love for the game,” said Coach Hanif.