The singles’ guide to cuffing season

Winter is in full swing with peppermint-flavored everything, red and green, gingerbread, and eggnog popping up all over the city. Aside from the change in weather, something else is different: everyone you know is now in a relationship, and you feel like a “third wheel.”

Welcome to cuffing season. A span of time between November and March during which, in the words of Urban Dictionary, “people who would normally rather be single… find themselves along with the rest of the world desiring to be “cuffed” or tied down by a serious relationship.”

Of course, there are many exceptions, as many people stay single during the cold winter months. If you’re one of them, or even if you just want a guide to winter activities, The Classic and fellow Harrisites have you covered.
There are many things you can do during the winter season to feel good, especially when surrounded by your cuffed friends. Sophomore Ali Boivab said that connecting with himself and his family are really important to him, as are “working out, playing guitar, singing [and] meditating.” Other students like junior India Lott find joy in embracing the holiday season. “It’s really one of the best times of the year,” she says, noting that she loves Christmas and New Years parties.

Just in case you wanted a few more ideas on how to get through it, here is “The Single Guide to Cuffing Season.”
It may be difficult to have to stay inside without a special someone for a long time but there are many things that you can do to pass it by. One of these ways is by listening to music. There are several genres that you can listen to, and many ways to discover something new through apps like Spotify and Soundcloud. Empowering music is always a great way to feel pumped up, and if anything, Christmas music is there to bring some holiday cheer. The post-holiday season is also a good time to listen to music while working out so you can feel even more confident when the warmer months come around.

Secondly, there’s Netflix, a popular go-to. With Friends still up and new content added fairly often, there’s always something to watch. Thrillers, action or dramas provide entertainment, and some cheesy rom-coms may remind you that while your friend’s relationship is cute, fiction is always cuter. It’s always nice to cuddle up with a blanket, some hot cocoa and your show or movie of choice. Some good options are How to Get Away with Murder, The Vampire Diaries, Black Panther, and To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before.  
The holiday season is also filled with great culinary traditions and seasonal flavors that may be fun to experiment with. Whether you’re an amateur baker or an enthusiast, releasing endorphins from eating and sharing baked goods can be a great way to wind down and relax. Baking or cooking also costs less money than buying food on a date so… win-win!

Hanging out with your friends and family can also warm your heart and soul. Romance isn’t the only type of love out there! So grab your friends away from their significant other (they might just thank you) or feel free to head out on an adventure. Try going ice skating, playing pool, visiting a museum or having a movie marathon.
Of course, nothing scares away the chill of winter like doing what you love. Whether it’s making art, experimenting, or playing Fortnite, you’re bound to feel amazing afterward.

Nevertheless, India noted that if you are still single, it doesn’t mean you’ll never find someone.  She said that it’s easy to “feel down,” but “everything will fall into place when the time is right.” In the meantime, she advised “[trusting] the process” and practicing “self love.”

It’s also important to feel fine regardless of your relationship status. Even if you are in a relationship, or all of your friends are single, you should still do things that make you feel good, especially during the winter time. It can seem dull after the cheer of the holiday season is over. As Ali Boivab said, “It can get boring when all the parties [are over] and loved ones have just flown away.”

With that being said, everyone should feel great all year around. You should always do the things that make you happy, cuffed or not. Post-cuffing season though, naturally, can bring breakups. Be sure to bring some ice-cream to your friends, and share this guide with them. It’s the “single” one anyone will ever need.