After six long years, the Jonas Brothers return

By Kayla Kim, Staff Writer

After six years of being inactive in the music industry, Kevin Jonas, Joe Jonas, and Nick Jonas have released the hit song Sucker at the beginning of March, announcing the return of the Jonas Brothers. Many students were elated with the news that the band from their childhood was returning.  

Making their debut on Disney Channel in 2005, the brothers starred in movies like Camp Rock and its sequel, Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam, guest-starred in shows like Hannah Montana, and performed at events like the Miss Teen USA contest. They also had their own TV series, Jonas, which stood for “Junior Operatives Networking as Spies,” where they played the roles of three brothers who sang in concerts while undercover as government agents. They were extremely popular and sold more than 17 million albums until 2013 when they formally broke up.

Sophomore Zoe Tylipakis said, “I was so excited when I found out The Jonas Brothers were coming back together because it was such a nostalgic feeling knowing that these boys who were a huge part of my childhood were showcasing their talent to the world again.”

Since their breakup, Nick and Joe Jonas have been making their own music apart from the threesome. Nick Jonas has released songs like Close, Jealous, and Chains that have reached the top 20 on Billboard. Joe Jonas, in his new group called DNCE, released Cake by the Ocean in 2015 which made Billboard’s Top 100 in 2016. They have also been part of films; Nick Jonas starred in Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle while Joe Jonas was the voice of the singing sea monster in Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation. Both Nick and Kevin Jonas are now married, and Joe has just recently gotten engaged.

In addition to their song released on March 1, Amazon Prime Video announced on Twitter, “We’re teaming up with the #JonasBrothers on an exclusive documentary.” On March 5, Joe Jonas tweeted, “Can’t wait for you guys to see what we’ve been working on for the past year.” In interviews, The Jonas Brothers talked about how they had been wanting to film a documentary that would narrate their journey from Disney Channel to their current fame. Neither the name nor the release date of this documentary has yet been announced. They have also released a second single called Cool on April 5 that has reached 19 million views on Youtube.

Sucker has already topped the Official Trending Chart Top 20, and reached number 1 on the United States Top 50 on Spotify. The music video has more than 101 million views on YouTube. Junior Kelsey Zhen commented, “It’s really catchy and the music video is a really good accompaniment to it.” Junior Dino Mulani agreed, “It has a DNCE vibe but with Nick Jonas singing most of it.”

The Jonas Brothers have successfully reintroduced themselves into the music industry of 2019. Hopefully, this means new albums and tours are following closely behind.