Meet Angelica Diaz, new guidance secretary

Along with a new school year, Townsend Harris is welcoming several new members into the school community. In addition to the new teaching staff, there are some new behind-the-scenes staff members, including Angelica Diaz. 

Ms. Diaz is Townsend Harris’ new Guidance Secretary replacing Tina Marie Kendall, who retired last year. Before coming to THHS, she served as a Purchasing and Payroll Secretary as well as a Parent Coordinator at other schools. Though Ms. Diaz enjoyed her career as a Parent Coordinator, she said that her schedule interfered with her growing family. “Transitioning to the secretary role has allowed me the perfect balance between my work and home life while still being a strong contributing factor to our school communities,” she said.

In her new position at THHS, she is “essentially the gatekeeper and liaison for the office.” Ms. Diaz processes college applications, handles the submission of test scores and reports, and keeps student records updated. She is also involved in planning events such as the College Fair and Baccalaureate Awards. 

Veronica York, Assistant Principal of Pupil Personnel Services, said, “I am excited to have Ms. Diaz join the pupil personnel team. She has the perfect balance of being very serious and taking care of business, while at the same time being sweet and welcoming to all students.”

Ms. Diaz is located in the room outside of Ms. York’s office in the Guidance Department. She is available to help students with any questions and concerns, especially as the first semester progresses and seniors delve into the college application process.

Though Ms. Diaz mainly works in the office, she is “looking forward to building connections with the students and staff.” She tells students, “Please do not hesitate to come to me for anything, I am also here to help you.”

“I am extremely delighted to have joined this school community,” Ms. Diaz said. “I cannot wait to see the wonderful things this school year will unfold.”