A roundup of this week’s top NYC education stories

With constant developments from the New York City Department of Education and its return to fully in-person instruction, The Classic has gathered some of the biggest summer news this week from local publications.

NYC schools will have universal curriculum with focus on diversity 

From an article by Selim Algar of The New York Post: “New York City officials on Thursday [July 8th], unveiled a post-pandemic recovery plan that includes a ‘mosaic’ curriculum to standardize English and math instruction across all 1,600 city schools.” The initiative is slated to be implemented by fall of 2023.

NYC schools sticking with COVID mask mandate despite new CDC guidance: De Blasio

From an article by Michael Elsen Rooney of The New York Daily News: “Mayor de Blasio is planning to stick with a universal mask mandate in city schools this fall, despite new Centers for Disease Control guidance last week suggesting vaccinated kids and adults can safely ditch their masks inside classrooms.”

Critical race theory debate hits New York City public schools

Read an article by Pooja Salhotra of the Chalkbeat New York about “part of a growing contingent of parents and educators who are speaking out against the ways race, ethnicity, and diversity are addressed in K-12 schools nationwide,” and how this battle is fought right here in New York City.

NYC details $635M plan for public schools post-pandemic recovery 

From an article by Michael Elsen-Rooney of The New York Daily News: “New York City officials spelled out the details [on] Thursday of a massive, $635 million post-pandemic academic recovery plan — promising big new investments in a standardized, citywide math and English curriculum, universal screening for reading challenges, and extracurricular academic support for kids with learning disabilities.”

Photo by Nicolas Lin