Introducing this spring season’s athletics coaches

With the reintroduction of spring sports after a two-year interruption due to the pandemic, The Classic spoke to some of the spring coaches of the Townsend Harris athletics program to introduce them to the community.  

Meet Coach Matthew Curiale – Girls Varsity Flag Football

Matthew Curiale is the district 75 special education teacher at THHS. During the fall, he coaches the Boys Varsity soccer team and Co-Ed wrestling team. He’s been the coach of the Girls Flag Football team since its inaugural season in 2012.

“This Spring will be an exciting season for the Girls Flag Football team, as almost every member of the team is new and we have only been practicing for a few weeks. I can tell the girls are learning the game quickly and always seem to be having fun,” Mr. Curiale said. 

In regards to his hopes for the season, he said, “I am very optimistic about this team’s ability to learn and win football games. Either way I know that the girls will do their best to learn a new sport, work hard, and have a positive high school athletic experience.”

Meet Coach Lauren Caiaccia – Boys Varsity Volleyball

Athletic director Lauren Caiaccia has been a physical education teacher at THHS since 2007, serving as the Girls Varsity Basketball Coach during the winter. In partnership with Coach Elvis Hanif, a teacher at Queens Technical High School, she also coaches the Boys Varsity Volleyball team in the spring.

Describing the expectations she has for the team, Ms. Caiaccia said she looks for continual improvement. “To achieve this goal, the team will need to be flexible, put max effort, have enthusiasm, and a willingness to learn,” she said. She hopes the team’s efforts will help them clinch a spot in the playoffs in the Queens A1 East division where the boys will face competitive rivals such as Cardozo, Francis Lewis, and Bayside High School. 

“Considering there hasn’t been a traditional spring season since 2019, the challenge will be to instill the proper mentality of what it means to play competitive volleyball,” Ms. Caiaccia said. “I believe that everyone and anyone can bring their own form of greatness to the table. In sports, as in life, it takes a village, and everyone is expected to contribute to our overall team success.”

Meet Coach Adel Kadamani – Girls Varsity Fencing Team 

“I am coaching the Girls Fencing Team because I heard so many wonderful things about them. They are very committed, very disciplined, and very hardworking. They always give their best,” Mr. Kadamani said. “I have high expectations for them because they are self-driven and self motivated, and I am confident this will be a successful season. The girls always have just what it takes, and more, to have fun at practicing, competing, and winning.”

Hawk Mascot – Photo courtesy of Madeline Cannon

Girls Varsity Flag Football Team – Photo courtesy of Zuzanna Kowalski

Boys Varsity Volleyball Team – Photo courtesy of Coach Lauren Caiaccia

Girls Varsity Fencing Team – Photo courtesy of Zara Islam