Varsity Basketball season kicks off with a line of successes

Isabella Medina

The girls basketball team starts off their season strong.

The THHS Basketball teams have seen much success at the start of the winter season, with the boys team racking up a 5-0 win count and the girls team starting off at 3-0. Earlier today, the girls team defeated Hillcrest High School 76-24 and the boys team won against Newcomers High School 71-30. 

The boys team won their first five games, including a major matchup against the Academy of American Studies on December 2nd, where THHS won by one point (53-52). Senior Abijhot Singh scored the point in the final two minutes of the game. The captain of the boy’s team, Matthew Cantor, said that “The game against American Studies was a fun game. We had a convincing lead and it wasn’t until the end that they caught up,” he said. “That game was a wake-up call that we can’t let up the intensity during games, even if we have a lead. Luckily we got out of it unscathed, but we might not be so lucky in the future.” 

Sophomore Andrew Leonard said, “I think the season is going great and as expected, we lost a lot of guys from last year, but everyone we kept and brought in is improving. Being in a new division playing new teams has been and will be a challenge, but one we are ready for.” 

The girls’ team has also started off with victory, boasting a three game win streak. “The basketball season has been going really good, and we are improving with each game,” sophomore Eva Hannon says. “Every practice we work really hard towards getting better for the upcoming game.” 

Junior Io Giannapoulou said “I love how encouraging and positive we’ve been so far, and I wouldn’t want it to be any other way.” Both players agree that the team is encouraging and positive, and that their enthusiasm has greatly aided them in maintaining their winning streak. 

Their most recent game was against Forest Hills High School. The team won with a significant lead, ending the game with a score of 66-19. “We lost against them in the playoffs last year, so we got our revenge by beating them in this game this year,” Eva said. 

Leading scorer Io says, “As leader on the court, I was able to see my team strive as we successfully beat Forest Hills. I hope that our future games can be as prosperous as this one. I think everyone was able to achieve their game goals, and put their best self on the court.”

Photo courtesy of Isabella Medina