Both varsity basketball teams continue to hold undefeated records

Both of the Townsend Harris PSAL varsity basketball teams have kept up their winning streak this week, with the boys team maintaining an 8-0 record and the girls holding a 6-0 record for the season. On December 15, the girls team were dominant over the winless Queens High School of Teaching 60-21 while the boys team cruised to victory against Queens Metropolitan High School, 66-47.

The boys team has had multiple blowout victories throughout these past few games, giving them a perfect start to the season. Sophomore Andrew Leonard, the leading scorer of the past game with 28 points, along with eight rebounds and five assists, said: “The season has been going very well as we are undefeated eight games in. Playing good teams is always a challenge, but we have done a great job on defense.” 

Although undefeated, THHS is competing against Maspeth High School for the number one seed, as they both have an 8-0 record. The boys hope to sustain their winning momentum against Maspeth on Monday, December 19, a game that will decide the first spot in the division, leading to one of these teams losing their undefeated record.

The girls team has been similarly triumphant. In addition to their victory over Queens HS of Teaching, they have won games against Springfield Gardens, Hillcrest, John Adams, and Benjamin N. Cardozo High School. 

Sophomore Loise Arcega said, “Our season is starting off strong as we are currently 6-0 and at the top of our division. The competition hasn’t really been challenging for us because most of us have played on a team before going to high school and or have played during the off season. I hope for more wins to come and we should be getting pretty far into this season as long as we don’t let up and always play hard.”

The girls team is currently holding the first seed and are the only undefeated team in their division so far this season. 

Photo courtesy of The Girls and Boys Varsity Basketball Teams