PSAL Winter Season: Five THHS athletes with outstanding stats

Samira Li

Five athletes who maintained outstanding statistics within their Winter sports team reflect on their season.

As the winter sports season came to an end, Townsend Harris High School’s student-athletes within each team competed in many games and throughout those games, there were individuals who maintained outstanding statistics within their team.

On the Wrestling team, senior Lana Yepifanova competed and won all 6 of her games. Reflecting on this, she said “My coach is wonderful and he hosts practices almost everyday which keeps us motivated to improve our skills. Our team makes a very friendly atmosphere and even waits for me after competitions, which I really appreciate.” 

Placing 4th in the city, Wrestling team Captain senior Justin Linzan who also won all 6 league matches said, “My team is like a second family. I consider it my mission as their captain to help train them and even I get excited seeing them grow and win. Yet as the captain, I can’t be weak so I keep at it and train hard to be the best I can be.”

The Girl’s Varsity Basketball team were the semi-finalists, reaching the final four in the PSAL Division A playoff. Junior Audrey Lin scored a total of 128 points throughout the season and scored 43 points throughout the playoffs. She said “I think I played a good defense which helped the team in many of our games. Something I would improve on to help myself and others around me would be to have more confidence on the court to create more opportunities to score.” 

Girl’s Basketball Captain Aissatou Lam scored 113 points throughout the seasonal games and scored 52 points throughout the playoffs. “I impacted the team by being a constant source of encouragement for everyone. I always tried to play my hardest and to support my teammates whenever I could and that as long as we continue working hard and working together improvements will come on their own,” she said. “Yet I believe in myself and my co-captains (Madeline Cannon and Natalia Ramlogan) worked really hard to make an environment where everyone on our team had an opportunity to thrive and play like their best selves.”

From the Boy’s Varsity Basketball team, sophomore Andrew Leonard ranked 28th in the city for most points scored, scoring a total of 347 points through the regular season and 51 points throughout the playoffs. He said “The biggest improvement for me was learning how to stay poised and zone out all distractions to help my team win. Despite the opposing crowd, the pressure, or anything like that, I’ve performed to the best of my ability and we succeeded as a result.” He continued, “I’m grateful to my teammates and coaches for putting me in the position to succeed. I feel good about my stats this year because they reflected all the hard work I put in during the summer and during freshman year to build me into the player I was this year.”