Despite delay due to air quality emergency, rising freshman participate in orientation

Karen
Students from the Class of 2027 congregate in the gymnasium at the start of orientation.

Last month’s freshmen orientation was delayed for over two weeks due to hazardous air quality from the Canada wildfires. Although some incoming freshmen were unable to attend the event due to the postponement, those who attended spent their time taking a Spanish placement test, participating in ice breakers led by Student Union representatives, and taking school ID photos.

The orientation was originally scheduled for June 8, Anniversary Day, where all students are off from school and teachers attend professional learning sessions. Due to the air quality emergency, the NYC Department of Education had everyone stay remote for both June 8 and June 9, which led to the orientation’s postponement. Without having another common day when all freshmen could attend, the school rescheduled the event for June 26. Some students had to be in school that day for various reasons, including graduation and their eighth grade trip.

Nonetheless, numerous students were available to attend the orientation and prepare for the fall. Raisa Kamal, a rising freshman said, “I was impressed with the opportunities provided at Towsend Harris, and I am excited to go there in the fall.”

The event mainly took place on THHS’s first and second floors. In the gymnasium, students divided up into groups based on what language class they were taking. Students taking Spanish in the fall alternated between taking a placement test and doing icebreaker activities. On the other hand, students taking French and Japanese did icebreakers and took ID photos. Those taking Spanish took their ID photos in between the test and their icebreakers. 

While there was a lot of nervous energy among the incoming students, rising freshmen told The Classic that they appreciated the effort made by the Student Union during the orientation. 

“They were really committed,” said rising freshman Methulia Medage, discussing the SU participants.

“I enjoyed the ice breakers because I met lots of new friends, and I found it very engaging,” rising freshman Johnson Liu said.

Some students said they were caught off guard by the placement exam and the ID photos.

Raisa Kamal, a rising freshman, said, “I wish we were given a heads up before the test and photo.”

Three other students who spoke to The Classic, not knowing their ID photo would be taken, said they would have prepared for it more if given advanced notice. 

Even though there were some complications in the process of making this orientation happen, such as air quality conditions and graduation duties for eighth graders, many students said they were still able to socialize and discover interests within Townsend Harris that they would like to develop in the upcoming school year. For those who missed the June orientation, there will be another one in August.

View Comments (1)
$1300
$1500