Harrisites share their favorite trends for this spring

Amy Jiang
As the spring weather warms up the city, Harrisites share their favorite trends.

As spring rolls around with cherry blossom trees and sunny skies, Harrisites are switching up their style to adjust to the incoming warmer temperatures. Heavy sweaters and sweatpants previously keeping Harrisites warm are becoming shorts and tank tops to battle the heat within classrooms. But, what’s trending with Harrisites this Spring? Here are THHS’s biggest spring trends right now: 

Flowy Maxi Skirts:

Long, flowy maxi skirts have been a popular trend with Harrisites. The most common variation of these skirts seen are the white, tiered maxi skirts. However, as these skirts become more popular, variations of different colors and patterns are available at different stores. These skirts are light and effective in keeping the person cool and comfortable, yet fashionable acting as a simple, yet stylish addition to your outfit. 

Junior Tristin Hall said, “They’re a great way to stay cool as it gets warmer outside, but still covers enough so your knees aren’t cold”, expressing the practicality and later adds on, “they’re so cute because it has a cottage-core vibe, perfect for having a picnic in the park.” These skirts can easily be styled up or down and are definitely a clothing staple for the spring season. 

Where To Purchase:

Forever 21 ‘Tiered Drawstring Maxi Skirt’ – in Black, White, Taupe, Green, & Pink 

Pacsun ‘John Galt Izzy Skirt’ – in Red Floral  

Hollister ‘Tiered Linen Blend Maxi Skirt’ – in White & Tan 

Jorts

Reminiscent of the late 90’s and 2000’s trends, jorts have made a comeback these past years and have especially been a hit within Harrisites. 

When asked why he thinks jorts are a spring essential, Junior Arsya Alfitri said, “Jeans are in fashion and the weather is getting warmer, so combining shorts and jeans is perfect.” 

For many Harrisites, jorts serve as a simple and comfortable, yet fashionable staple for their closets. The resurgence of these bottoms come with the growing popularity of 90’s to 2000’s fashion. Outfits inspired by these era’s paired with jorts can often be seen in the hallways of THHS as students battle the heat. Ranging in lengths, colors, and styles, jorts can be suited to various styles and can be a great addition to your wardrobe.

Where To Purchase:

Urban Outfitters ‘BDG Astro Baggy Denim Jort’ – in Dark Green, Bronze, Blue, & Sky 

Pull & Bear ‘Skater Jorts’ – in Dark Blue, Black, Blue, & Grey 

Sixth Dimension ‘Revolution Spray Oversized Jorts’ 

Pull & Bear ‘Denim Jort’ – in Black, Chocolate, Tint Blue, & Shock Blue 

Orchid Print:

Spring has always been all about florals especially within fashion. But this spring, there has been a rise in orchid printed clothing, shoes, accessories, and even nails. 

Sophomore Jae Alstonhas pointed out this growing trend and said,“I’ve seen a lot of orchid nails and shoes. I think it fits nicely since spring is mainly revolved around florals.” Although this trend hasn’t reached the height of popularity that jorts and flowy maxi skirts have, it’s definitely a trend to watch out for.

Where To Purchase:

Emi Jay ‘Super Bloom Claw Clip’ – in Wild Orchid 

Princess Polly ‘Nova Flower Top’ – in Navy/Black 

Chunky, Bold Belts

2024 is all about being bold. This spring, you’ll be able to catch Harrisites sporting chunky, bold belts paired with their outfits. 

Senior Julia Przybylo said, “I feel like chunky, bold belts are going to be really popular. I’ve seen a lot of people styling them with long flowy skirts and it adds contrast and can really make an outfit.” 

These belts are often used as a statement piece, making an outfit extremely interesting visually. They can be paired with skirts (of various lengths), jeans, shorts, and practically any bottom, making them a must-have. Whether it be large leather belts, or metal belts studded with interesting colors, you can expect to see these statement belts both in and outside of school. 

Where To Purchase:

Urban Outfitters ‘UO Round Leather Western Belt’ – in Black & Brown 

Urban Outfitters ‘Embossed Chain Belt’ – in Gold & Silver

Princess Polly ‘Elderwood Belt’ – in Brown 

Edikted ‘Turquoise Gem Pendant Belt’ – in Silver   

Halter Tops

Halter tops are yet another timeless basic that can be dressed up, or down. Halter tops are similar to tank tops, however, the tie around the neck element adds something different to the outfit. These tops can be a common choice for Harrisites trying to beat the heat, but in a stylish way. 

Junior Irene Kim, explains why she thinks halter tops will be a top choice this spring she said, “I think halter tops will start trending again because they’re great tops to wear in the heat. They’re also pretty underrated, and deserve a lot more attention as unique pieces of clothing because of how you wear them.” Alongside its practical use, halter tops can be found in various colors, patterns, styles, and materials, making them a perfect closet staple for spring.

Where To Purchase:

Aritzia ‘Sculpt Knit Backless Halter Top’ – in Multiple Colors

Princess Polly ‘Rehna Halter Top’ – in White 

Pacsun ‘John Galt Black Halter Top’