How Many is Too Many? The Debate Over the Number of AP Courses Students Should Take in a Year

Katherine Lian
As students choose courses for the upcoming year they question how many AP classes they should take.

As students start selecting courses for the new academic year, one question stands out: how many Advanced Placement (AP) classes should they take? Many students share different opinions on whether they should take as many APs as possible to improve their transcript or if they should focus on courses that match their interests and career aspirations. 

The dispute over the ideal amount of AP courses has been prevalent. Proponents of taking several AP courses claim that these demanding classes might reflect a student’s commitment to push oneself academically, potentially leading to higher GPAs and more competitive college applications. Furthermore, the potential to earn college credit through successful performance on AP exams can translate into substantial cost savings and accelerated progress in higher education.

On the other hand, it is argued that taking too many AP courses can lead to burnout and excessive stress. More times than not, students are overloaded with work to the point of exhaustion. The workload of AP classes, coupled with extracurricular activities, standardized test preparation, and other obligations, can overwhelm students and detract from their overall well-being. Although APs may be important a student can also show their interests through academic teams and clubs that represent their goals. Townsend Harris offers a plethora of different academic teams: Mock Trial, Moot Court, Model UN, Science Olympiad, Latin League, etc. 

The best approach is a balanced one; students should aim to take a moderate number of AP courses, focusing on subjects that align with their interests and goals. Taking three to five AP courses in an academic year can provide a challenging academic experience while still allowing students to maintain a healthy balance in their lives. This range challenges students  academically without overwhelming them with excessive workload.

For seniors, finding a balance is key; taking about three to four AP courses can provide a challenging academic experience while still allowing time to focus on college applications and other commitments. This approach allows students to demonstrate academic rigor without sacrificing their mental health and well-being, ensuring they can excel academically and personally.

In the end, the number of AP courses a student should take a year is a personal decision that should be based on a thoughtful evaluation of their goals and abilities. Students can still challenge themselves academically and demonstrate their commitment to learning without sacrificing their mental health and well-being. This balance is crucial for long-term academic success and personal development and so a range of three to five AP classes is most optimal.