Drama Club rebrands as ‘Nightingale Theatre,’ hires new presidents to oversee yearly drama offerings

Earlier this year, the drama club announced that they would be rebranding as “The Nightingale Theatre Company.” With this rebrand, they aimed to bring cohesion to the theatrical community and various offerings at Townsend Harris. Advised by English teacher Ryan Dunbar and Instructional Support Services teacher Kevin Schwab, The Nightingale Theatre Company aims to bring all of the theatrical programs at THHS under its wing and publicize other theater based opportunities for students. 

The program advisors selected new club presidents for the 2023-2024 school year as part of the rebranding process, appointing students to run things both on and off stage. They chose rising seniors Reem Nasrallah, Eliana Varkoutas, and Mikolas Taveras, all having a love for drama. The group of students will be responsible for organizing meetings and events, as well as maintaining communication with department leaders to ensure that they are fulfilling their tasks. 

“I played my first major role, Little Red Riding Hood, last school year in our production of Into the Woods. That opportunity allowed me to reconnect with my love of theater and it pushed me to go for the role of Nightingale Theatre President, and I couldn’t be happier that it worked out,” said Reem. 

The three club presidents told The Classic that they aim to help develop and expand the theater community at THHS. “It is our hope to cultivate more interest in the arts, and to nurture the talent we know exists within everyone at Townsend Harris,” said Mikolas. 

When asked to reflect on the process of running for this position, all three club presidents spoke deeply on their past involvement and experiences with theater at THHS. “Since I started high school, I’ve tried to be as involved in theater at Townsend as much as I possibly could. For me, that was mainly through acting in S!NG, Drama Club, and the spring musical,” said Eliana. 

Mr. Dunbar spoke about why the three seniors would be fit for the position of club president. “Having taught all three of them, I have witnessed their top-notch work ethic first hand. Additionally, each of them possesses incredible theatrical talents. I have seen each of them not only command the stage in acting roles but also help keep things running smoothly behind the scenes,” said Mr. Dunbar. 

When asked about his goals for Nightingale Theatre going into the 2023-24 school year, Mr. Schwab said, “Comedies, dramas and Shakespeare productions are on my wish list if we are able to fit more shows into the school year.” Just like Mr. Dunbar, he has taken notice of the ethics of  Reem, Eliana, and Mikolas. “Their instincts for the stage are impeccable and they each know how to collaborate in order to utilize their individual strengths for communal improvement. These three presidents have shared their passion for the art of the stage and always bring their best to the table.” 

Reflecting on their history with theater at THHS, each president expressed great gratitude for the way it’s shaped their lives and personalities. Mikolas said, “My school life prior to joining the club was unremittingly drab and boring. But the creativity, dedication to the craft, along with the community surrounding the club mystified and drew me in, and since I became a member it has given me so much in return.”