New faculty member Guy Martin joins the ISS and history departments

Katherine Lian
Dr. Martin will teach social studies and ISS.

With the new school year here, Townsend Harris High School is welcoming Dr. Guy Martin to the ISS (Instructional Support Services) and history departments.

Dr. Martin received his undergraduate degree in history from Kalamazoo College, a liberal arts college in Michigan. Following this in 2015, he earned his master’s degree in special education from Long Island University-Brooklyn. He later obtained his PhD in special education from Vanderbilt University in 2022.

Dr. Martin’s PhD research focused on literacy development for students with intellectual and developmental disabilities, applied behavior analysis, and paraeducator training. His team trained uncertified paraeducators and examined the training’s impact on their knowledge of reading instructions and behavioral support for students with an intellectual or developmental disability. 

Dr. Martin became a teacher because he believes that high-quality services can be life-changing for a student. He said, “I find the process of fostering relationships with students to be the most rewarding part of the job, and it is a precursor [to] helping students meet their goals.” He spoke about his own experience, in which he had received special education services for speech and language as a student. “I am immensely grateful to the teachers and speech-language pathologists who supported me,” he said.

From 2013 to 2017, Dr. Martin worked with Principal Condon and Mr. Gelbman at the School for Tourism and Hospitality, which impacted his decision to work at THHS. He said, “I was excited about [collaborating] with them again.” Dr. Martin was particularly amazed by not just the impact of the ISS department on students but also its growth. “I feel fortunate to have the opportunity to contribute to the group,” he said.

Mr. Gelbman admired Dr. Martin’s diligence and dedication to students. He said, “[Dr. Martin] really works well with students with disabilities and is a fighter for them.” He advises Dr. Martin to enjoy himself, and to appreciate the team of ISS educators he can learn from. He believes the THHS community will welcome him warmly. “I have no doubt he will be a perfect fit for our community,” he said.

Dr. Martin was amazed by the students he met during his demonstration lesson and during the summer Bridge program. He said, “I am most looking forward to working with [THHS’s] inquisitive, caring, and passionate students.” He further expressed his excitement to familiarize himself with the teachers of the ISS department and learn different support methods.

In his free time, Dr. Martin enjoys long walks in new neighborhoods, reading, volunteering at parks and compost sites, and training for his first powerlifting meet in October. He is also a proud uncle. He said, “I shamelessly bought myself a hat that says “#1 Uncle.” Overall, Dr. Martin looks forward to collaborating not only with staff but also the students.