Assembly member elected for District 27, where THHS is located

Janaya Sydney

Two weeks ago, Sam Berger was elected to the New York State Assembly in a special election by the voters of Assembly District 27, the district in which Townsend Harris is located.

The New York State Assembly is one of the two houses of the legislative branch of the New York State government, along with the New York State Senate. The Assembly votes on many issues that impact the state, including bail reform, climate policy, healthcare, and, most relevant for Harrisites, education. The state legislature elects members of the New York State Board of Regents, which supervises all educational activities within the state, including crafting statewide standardized exams and creating statewide standardized curriculums.

There are other bills in the Assembly that would impact students. One bill proposes lowering the voting age in New York to 16, while another bill, recently approved, would cap core subject academic classes in high schools at 25 students per classroom, with physical education and performing arts classes capped at 40 students per classroom. As an Assembly Member, Mr. Berger has the power to vote on bills as such that could directly affect students.

Many Harrisites are hopeful that Assembly Member Berger could support new laws that could change their experience at THHS and beyond.

Freshman Akankha Banik said, “I think one of the most important things [Assembly Member Berger] can do for Townsend Harris is advocate for increased funding. That way the school can invest in updated learning materials, technologies, things for clubs and the building itself, growing the quality of education as well as the overall space.”

Sophomore Sinthiya Saika said that Assembly Member Berger should “consider implementing programs aimed at supporting students who face challenges in accessing opportunities or finding their path in life,” such as “mentorship programs, career counseling, or skill-building workshops to empower students to pursue their goals effectively.”

Assembly Member Berger did not return an emailed request for comment as of publication.

While most students cannot vote, THHS Class of 2005 alum and former Assembly candidate Ethan Felder said,“Harrisites should engage with their assembly member, whether they’re doing projects or seeking information from him.”

“When you say it’s a public office, it means that it belongs to everyone, including the students. So, there should be active participation with local public elected officials, including the assembly member, on students’ concerns and viewpoints for issues that matter to them,” said Mr. Felder.