Freshmen reflect on their first marking period at THHS

Katherine Lian
The Class of 2027 has completed their first marking period

As the Class of 2027 completed their first marking period at Townsend Harris High School, they reflected on their experiences thus far. While some students found the transition difficult, others felt more at ease. Overall, the newcomers expressed optimism and a positive outlook for their time at THHS. 

The Classic interviewed THHS freshmen about their thoughts of the school thus far. 

Freshman Tabassum Mizan discussed her experience with THHS’ community, highlighting how it differs from her middle school. She said, “My first few weeks have been the complete opposite of what I’ve been through with my last school. The community here is so kind and wonderful and the environment is super welcoming. The teachers here seem to enjoy their jobs, which really helps with my ability to learn and participate.”

Freshman Priyanka Sarker shared similar sentiments.“I feel like it’s very different from my middle school experience. It’s very engaging, but I’m getting used to it,” she said. 

Moreover, Freshman Giuseppe Volpe said, “My first few weeks at [THHS] have been very enjoyable. I really like how welcoming the community is and how the staff makes us feel. But it’s also been rough getting used to schedules and managing school work with sports,” he said.

Music teacher Christopher Lee shared his thoughts on the Class of 2027. “I like them. They’re an interesting bunch. Every year, I think the new kids are the ones I’m most excited to meet,” he said. 

Freshman Ali Yacoubi explained how he is still adjusting to THHS. “I feel mostly tired at Townsend Harris. The community, environment, teachers, classmates are all standard level. I have been [handling] school work, clubs, and extracurricular activities well because I have enough time for it after school. It’s just the school schedule that makes me tired,” he said. 

While many freshmen agree that there are struggles that come with attending THHS, references to a “welcoming” and “kind” community were repeated by numerous students.