“Barbenheimer” makes its Spirit Week debut

Students+participating+in+Barbenheimer+day.+
Students participating in Barbenheimer day.

Fall Spirit Week, an annual tradition at Townsend Harris, took place from October 27 to November 3, presenting students with the opportunity to show off their school spirit over the course of five themed days. Class senators selected this year’s themes, and added this year’s new theme: Barbie vs. Oppenheimer Day. Other themes included Grade Color Day, Pajama Day, Halloween Costume Day, Twin Day. As per tradition, the week concluded with the Founders’ Day program.

Barbie vs. Oppenheimer Day presented the biggest departure from previous Spirit Weeks. Held on Thursday, this day encouraged students to dress in one of the fashion styles associated with these recent blockbuster films. Some students arrived as their favorite character from either film, and others wore clothes that were simply inspired by the distinct aesthetics of the films. Many wore formal outfits that resembled the costumes seen in Oppenheimer, and others simply wore pink outfits to reference Barbie’s signature color. 

Sophomore Jazlyn Febles, who dressed up as Barbie, said, “I chose Barbie because I really enjoyed the movie and I feel like I have a deeper connection with her… I really understand the character and appreciate her values and her morals.”

Other days were more common from previous years. Grade Color Day and Hallway Decorating officially marked the start of Spirit Week on Friday, October 27. Students and staff dressed green for freshmen, blue for sophomores, pink for juniors, or red for seniors. After school, students in each grade worked together to decorate their assigned hallways according to their chosen theme and respective colors, competing with other grades for the votes of deciding THHS faculty. The senior class, as usual, proved victorious when all the votes were tallied the following Monday. 

Monday was also Pajama Day, where Harrisites were invited to attend school in their nightwear. Sophomore Luna Wang said that this was her favorite day. “I felt like I was warm and able to sleep any second in class. I think that Spirit Week should make every day pajama day,” she said.

On Halloween, students had the opportunity to wear their costumes to their classes. A variety of attire was seen, with an array of outfits, headwear, and accessories.

My favorite day was Halloween Costume Day because it was fun seeing everyone dressed up, plus we got free candy from our teachers,” said freshman Rio Ishiyama. “I was actually surprised that a lot of people dressed up because at my old school, only a few people dressed up [on Halloween]”. 

On Twin Day, students arrived at school wearing coordinating outfits as “twins”. However, Harrisites were not just limited to a singular twin; some dressed up as triplets, quadruplets, and even formed larger group outfits. 

As always, Fall Spirit Week concluded with business casual attire for Founders Day, in which returning and new members of the THHS community gathered to celebrate the values and rich history of the school.