Townsend Trends: fall sweaters, shoes, and patterns

This fall, many Harrisites can refresh their wardrobe with fun fall picks in line with the new trends of the 2023 season. From classic oversized sweaters, Uggs, and plaid patterns, to the more recent loafers and maxi-skirts, Harristies have the opportunity to combine both the classics and recent trends to perfect their fall wardrobe. 

Oversized sweaters are a staple in every student’s wardrobe. When it comes to styling oversized sweaters, the options are endless. By pairing them with sweats or baggy denim for a trendy, yet simple look, or matching them with a skirt and boots, students can create unique looks. Many celebrities, such as Taylor Swift and Billie Eilish, have woven oversized hoodies into their signature outfits, further solidifying the item’s position as a must have for the season. Embrace the oversized jumper trend to stay snug and fashionable all season long.

Junior Marcelo Matias said, “The fall season is perfect for sweaters, and I enjoy wearing them because of [how] versatile they are. They come in many different colors, patterns, and designs, so the possibilities are endless.” 

The timeless plaid pattern is found on  fall-related pieces, such as skirts, shirts and jackets. Whether it’s a plaid skirt paired with a solid-colored cover-up or a plaid shirt layered with a varsity jacket, the possibilities for mixing and matching with the print are endless. In order to  achieve a balanced and cohesive outfit, many students use complimenting colors or patterns to heighten the power of plaid. The versatility of the print allows for an experimental approach to fashion that can accommodate anyone’s style. Freshman Sophia Cherry said, “It’s not a trend, but it’s a basic component that most people [combine] into their fashion. It works with many different styles, so it can suit anyone well, no matter what.” 

Uggs are a staple during the cold of the fall season. In the 2023 season, Uggs have evolved to mini-boots, and have taken over social media with top-celebrities, like Lily Rose Depp and Gigi Hadid, rocking them. Uggs are a great path to add a level of warmth to outfits, but they also extend a level of comfort that few other footgear options can match. The versatile boots pair well with a pair of denim and a snug sweater, or cargo pants with a baby tee and a zip-up. 

Science teacher Ruben Durandis said, “Uggs are a classic. They’ve always been around, since I was a kid. Personally I like the ‘O.G’ ones.” 

On the newer side, denim maxi skirts have made their way into Harrisites’ wardrobe. With all sorts of slits and shapes to fit all preferences, the denim skirt fits in perfectly as a replacement for jeans in any outfit. Many enjoy the comfort and length of the maxi skirts for the summer and are now wearing them in a heavier fabric to help against the cold. 

Sophomore Bella Chen said, “Maxi-skirts can come in so many forms and styles. They give people the chance to find out what suits them best. Personally, they are one of my favorites to wear when going out with friends.”

Vintage loafers have also been trending on social media recently due to their lush texture and convenience. These shoes are able to accompany both casual and formal events, making them an adjustable feature. Loafers can be suitable for any weather condition since they provide the comfort and stability needed to go on with your day. With socks or a pair of stockings, these loafers can match with any article of clothing.

Junior Labeeba Aniqa said, “Loafers can go along with many aesthetic styles and it makes it easier for people to pair these shoes with their outfits.”