FON Holiday Market debuts at Season’s Readings event

Harrison Zhu
KFON selling snacks at the Holiday Market.

This year, FON leaders collaborated with the Reading Initiative to sell cultural  foods at the Season’s Reading Holiday Market. Filled with tables from different cultural backgrounds, the second floor was booming in sales as they showcased tasty traditional dishes from across the globe on Friday, December 22. 

Many FON leaders were able to sell both snacks and meals for affordable prices, allowing Harrisites to try diverse foods and experience the cultures of different nations. 

Indonesian FON Leader and Junior Aurelia Liu said, “I feel honored to be able to showcase my culture to friends who have never tried Indonesian food. My favorite item I was selling was ‘Es Teler’ because it was a fan favorite which we sold out of it quickly.”

This event also helped leaders raise money for costume fees. Chinese Silk FON Leader and Junior Daniel Chou said, “The holiday showcase was able to help our costume fund a decent amount. It was a great opportunity to raise money for the things we need. I think every bake sale is.”

Although costumes can be an expensive aspect of FON, they still hold great value. KFON Leader and Senior, Kaylah Rouzier said, “An important part of K-Pop performances is the visual aspect. We want to capture that essence in our performances and through our costume choices.”

Many of the FONs that participated in the Holiday Market reported that they were able to collect money for their costume funds, but there were many issues they encountered while working at their stalls. Some FON leaders shared their ideas on how to improve the Holiday Market for future years.

Chinese Modern FON Leader and Junior Chloe Chen said, “This year, [the lobby] was crowded and people were pushing, which made it difficult for others to stop by and look at what was being sold. I think if we could organize foot traffic better it would make the event a lot easier and less stressful.”

Kaylah said, “If this showcase continues, I think it would be a better idea to split the bake sales into at least two days. I think it would also help each FON raise more money since they’re competing with fewer groups”

The FON Holiday Market signals the start of the upcoming 2024 FON season, presenting students with the opportunity to showcase their cultures and learn more about others. It may also mark the start of a new tradition at THHS.