College application season ends for seniors

Chayti Biswas
College applications are finally done for the year and seniors can breathe a sigh of relief.

As January comes to an end and college application deadlines pass and high school seniors finally have a chance to breathe. One of the most challenging periods of a Harrisite’s experience has come to a close, and the general consensus around the senior class appears to be the same: relief. 

After months of juggling an intense workload and preparing for college, seniors have become acclimated to their fast-paced schedules. . Senior Olivia Wong said, “Personally, I got used to my routine during college app season, and it feels strange that certain things in my schedule have changed now that applications are done.” Senior, Liya Borukhova, added, “The biggest con is that now that all that college stuff is pretty much over, I feel like the senioritis is kicking in.”

After months consumed by writing and rewriting supplemental essays, students now have the ability to focus on things other than college applications. 

Olivia expressed  her joy for new opportunities now that she has more time on her hands. She said, “Now that I have a lot of free time, I’m gonna take this as an opportunity to spend more time with friends. Throughout college app season, I made it a point to maximize my productivity, which meant I didn’t really prioritize spending time with loved ones. I’m super excited to talk with more people, stay late after school for FON, and laugh with friends during free bands.” 

Many students also plan to put more energy toward their extracurriculars  and personal interests.

Senior Ioanna Giannopoulou said,,“With all this free time, I can really focus on basketball season and AP Physics,  but I’m also going to read way more, which I’m so excited for.”

When asked about her thoughts on the biggest positive of the college application process, senior Jenna Diaz said, “The biggest plus was the self-discovery I went through during this process. All of the supplements I had to complete asked questions about things I never really thought of, so it was nice to give those things some thought.”