Harrisites’ Idea of the Perfect Date

Samira Li
With Valentines Day coming up, Harrisites share their idea of a perfect date.

As February 14 approaches, hearts flutter with anticipation and a sense of romance fills the air. Valentine’s Day is traditionally dedicated to love, roses, and the exchange of heartfelt cards and gifts. While many celebrate Valentine’s Day, there are a variety of ways to do so. For this upcoming Valentine’s Day, Harrisites have different plans in mind for the perfect date.

Many students said they enjoy watching movies with loved ones. However, Senior Charles Hartman said, “I don’t want to go on a date to the movies because I can’t talk as much. I’m also afraid of expressing hatred for the movie by accident while the other person liked it. So it’s better to be somewhere where we can talk to each other and really connect.” 

Similarly, Freshmen Aleah Tercero said, “My ideal date activity would be going out to dinner or just something creative. I just want to talk to the person and get to know them better, so maybe a picnic. It doesn’t have to be expensive, just a memorable thing.”

Many Harrisites prefer dates that prioritize conversation and getting to know the other person better. Sophomore William Algenio said, “My perfect date doesn’t include a specific activity, place, or object. Instead, it involves someone special. There are no rules to a perfect date, except mutual happiness and enjoyment.” 

Junior Haein Kang said, “Shared interest is important in my ideal date because if everything that we do is catered to my liking, then it would be very selfish. Considering the other party is important for a perfect date.”

Valentine’s Day is not only for romantic relationships. It is also an opportunity to celebrate friendships. Some students are planning dates or Galentine’s Day activities with friends where they plan to exchange gifts.

Freshman Zaria Ilano said, “I’m a sucker for handmade things, so I’d really love to make and get those [kinds of gifts]. I’d prefer going out with a significant other in the future for Valentine’s Day, but I also enjoy spending it with my sister and friends.” 

Valentine’s Day celebrates the beauty of connection and the joy of sharing love and compassion with others. The day can be celebrated in many ways, whether it be with friends, family, or a significant other. Even if you spend the day alone, self-care can also be celebrated and enjoyed.