Freshmen attend class trip to local movie theater

Tabassum Ahmed
Students decided upon a movie to watch for the Class of 2027 trip.

Last week, the Class of 2027 went on a trip to Cinemart Cinemas, a theater in Forest Hills, New York. Students went down to the auditorium midway through second band, boarded yellow buses, and proceeded to watch their choice of either Kung-Fu Panda 4 or Imaginary. After the movies concluded, students were dismissed from the theater directly.

Students were notified about the details of the trip through an email from Coordinator of Student Activities Jaime Baranoff. They also received a form in which they could indicate their movie preference and who they wanted to sit with during the movie. The students paid a $10 fee upon entry and received a small bag of popcorn and a beverage for free. 

“I liked that we got to choose our movie and that we could be in groups with our friends. I also enjoyed the beverage and popcorn offered,” said freshman Anjali Jagmohan. 

Freshman-Sophomore Class President Shaw Williams said, “The trip was a perfect opportunity for the Class of 2027 to let loose with one another, and have a good time at the movies.” 

Most freshmen seemed to have had a good time whilst on the trip. “Many people seemed to be enjoying themselves while spending the day with their friends,” said freshman Rio Ishiyama. “I don’t think there is much that could be done better for subsequent trips because everyone was cooperative.”

Numerous students and faculty expressed their satisfaction with the execution of the trip, which the Freshman Grade Leaders planned. 

Senior Advisor Blayne Gelbman, who was a faculty advisor on the trip, said, “The grade leaders did a phenomenal job. They handled the majority of the planning, logistics, and organization. Ms. Baranoff and I are strongly considering doing a second grade trip for the freshmen.”

Some students did not enjoy the actual movies. “While the trip was fun, the movies were lackluster,” said freshman Zafir Alam.

Moreover, due to a series of misunderstandings with the theater during the planning of the trip, the movie options that were offered had to be changed multiple times, with the final two options being Imaginary and Kung-Fu Panda. Freshman Celeste Bagga said, “It was a bit disappointing that we had to switch movie options.” 

Despite these concerns, many students expressed interest in more grade trips like this.

Freshman Danielle Mitchell said, “It would be really awesome if we could plan a trip somewhere a bit further away, [and] maybe even visit an amusement park.”