Assistant Principal Amy Nass Joins Staff

ALSO JOINING the school community this year is new Assistant Principal of LOTE (languages other than English) Amy Nass, who has expressed great excitementabout taking on her new role.

Previously, former principal Anthony Barbetta adopted the responsibilties of this position following the leave of Lisa Mars, who became principal of Laguardia High School.

Ms. Nass received her BA and MA in History and Government, as well as politics, from St. John’s University.

After working in magazine publishing for a few years, she opted for a change to high school teaching and fell in love with it. She was also previously a social studies teacher and a senior advisor.

Ms. Nass explains, “[In] the most recent past, I have been concentrating on my family, as I have not been working out-of-the-house.”

In regards to her return, she remarks, “What I love about the classroom (and schools) is the great energy the students bring. I enjoy seeing students learning from each other. I love that every day is different working in a school.” She is eagerly “engaging with students, assisting teachers and learning from the students here at Townsend Harris.”

Ms. Nass addresses her adjustment to the school community, saying, “the teachers and staff are very friendly and helpful, making Townsend Harris a great place to come to work, so that has made it easy to adjust.”

She describes the atmosphere as “very welcoming,” adding, “it is challenging to begin in a new school because every high school is different; with its own traditions and values.”

She depicts the students positively as “friendly and shy.”

Ms. Nass appreciates the value that students and staff place on the curriculum. She is “learning about Townsend Harris traditions from faculty and staff” and is “looking forward to Founder’s Day.”

Ms. Nass also believes that teachers are not the only ones doing the teaching in the school, saying she looks forward to “learning from the students here at THHS.”

She concludes, “My door (505) is always open if students have any questions or would like to stop by to say “hi.” My goals are to help the students receive a great education and have a rewarding high school experience.”

She further elaborates, “I plan to assist and be an advocate for the LOTE and Art & Music departments. I am learning about the great programs and extracurricular activities they offer [here]. I am excited to be here at THHS and looking forward to being a part of this school.”