Are celebrity fast food meals just a trend or are they just really good? Here’s our thoughts on Megan Thee Stallion’s Popeyes Hottie Sauce 

Are celebrity fast food meals just a trend or are they just really good? Heres our thoughts on Megan Thee Stallion’s Popeyes Hottie Sauce 

Throughout the past year, several mainstream artists like Bad Bunny, BTS, and Little Huddy have teamed up with fast food chains such as McDonalds and Burger King to create limited edition meals. Now, Popeyes, in collaboration with rapper Megan Thee Stallion, has released the new Hottie Sauce. Is it really good though?

Unlike McDonald’s Travis Scott and BTS meals, which had TikTok trends associated with ordering the meal. The hottie sauce in comparison did not gain as much publicity into other celebrity promotions from other fast food chains. Considering Popeyes is one of my favorite fast food places, I decided to try it out.

The aesthetic of the sauce fits Megan Thee Stallion’s brand. The fiery red-orange packaging and the logo script with her signature speaks to Megan’s brand. The design of the sauce packaging is also a nod to Popeyes’ signature brand colors. The sauce is not only a great outreach to her fans, but additionally offers something new and creative which many teens enjoy seeing. 

The sauce itself is a sweet and spicy honey dip. As a sauce connoisseur who does not like honey, it was intriguing to see whether or not the sauce would hit. I first tried it with their signature fries. Luckily, they were crispy and hot which is much better than their usual soggy fries.

The sauce immediately reminded me of the now discontinued Sweet Chili Sauce from McDonald’s. However, Popeyes’ new sauce has a nice kick to it. It is spicy, but not to the point that it is unbearable, having an enjoyable mild flavor. The sauce also had an impeccable flavor; though a honey-based sauce, it still has a blend of seasonings that makes it so great. It paired amazingly with their fries but its sweetness didn’t complement the savory fried chicken very well. The contrast in flavors between the savory fried chicken and the sweetness of the hot sauce didn’t complement each other in comparison to the fries. With the chicken I recommend the blackened ranch sauce, which simply has a savory on savory taste, something you typically expect with sauces complementing fried chicken. 

Overall, the sauce hit so hard and I will continue to order it while promotions last. I would rate it a 8.5/10 compared to the other sauces I have tried by Popeyes. Their best sauce by far is the Blackened Ranch. I will never get over how amazing their sauce line is.

In general, Popeyes consistently has a superb sauce line. I hope they continue to surprise us with new additions and limited-editions as they are honestly the best way fast food chains can intrigue consumers. We get it. Your food is great, and we will continue to come back, but having a changing line of sauce brings the food to a different level.   

Photo by Jessica Sandoval, A&E Editor