Anime to look out for in 2022

With the new year upon us, 2022 is set to offer a plethora of new anime to look forward to. From new seasons of fan-favorite shows to upcoming movie releases, here are some of the anime shows and films coming out this year to be on the lookout for.

1. Attack On Titan Season Four

Attack on Titan follows the story of Eren Yeager living in a world inhabited by titans,  a species of cannibalistic behemoths that prey upon humans. With amazing animation and many plot twists, it is no surprise that the second part of the fourth season is highly anticipated. This season will be the last in the Attack on Titan series, completing the enthralling story once and for all. Online streaming began January 9 on Crunchyroll and Funimation with two episodes released so far.

1. Spy x Family 

Spy x Family is set to be an action-comedy anime adaptation of the manga series of the same name. The story follows a spy who assumes the role of a father to carry out a  mission.Little does he know, however, that the wife he chooses is an assassin and their adopted child is a telepath. Although an exact release date has yet to be announced, it has been confirmed that the first season will begin streaming on Crunchyroll in April.

1. Bubble 

Bubble is an upcoming film that has garnered a lot of hype since the official teaser was released on December 6. It takes place in Tokyo where gravity defying bubbles have secluded the city from the rest of the world. One of the main reasons so many people are keeping their eyes on Bubble is the A-list team working on the film. Tetsuro Araki, known for directing Attack on Titan and Death Note, is tasked as the director. The film also features character designs by Takeshi Obata, who has worked on Death Note and All You Need is Kill. The soundtrack is composed by Hiroyuki Sawano, famous for his music in Attack on Titan, Guilty Crown, and many other renowned anime works. Last but not least, the cast includes Yuki Kaji, a fan favorite voice actor known for his roles as Todoroki and Eren from My Hero Academia and Attack on Titan respectively. The movie will be released on April 28 as a Netflix Original exclusive.

1. My Hero Academia Season Six

My Hero Academia takes place in a world where most of the population is born with superpowers called quirks. The story follows young Izuku Midoriya who, belonging to the small minority born without any powers, aspires to become the world’s greatest superhero like his role model All Might. The sixth season will be released October 6 on a platform to be later announced and will show the all-out war between the heroes and villains.

1. Demon Slayer Season Two 

Demon Slayer is about a world in which demon slayers are constantly fighting human-eating demons. Protagonist Tanjiro goes on a journey with his friends while searching for a way to turn his demon sister Nezuko back into a human. The second season premiered last October and is currently on its fourteenth episode. New episodes will continue airing through the start of 2022. The current seasons are available on Funimation, Crunchyroll, and Hulu.

Art by Jialin Chen