Table Tennis team defeats Maspeth, and more updates from the track and wrestling teams

Photo courtesy of the Varsity Table Tennis Team

Coming off from the winter break, sports are back in full swing at Townsend Harris. The following are the most recent developments for our Wrestling, Table Tennis, and Track teams in recent works.

Wrestling

Last Thursday, CSI High School for International Studies (CSIHS)/McCown faced the THHS wrestling team, and THHS dominated the majority of matches. They amassed a total of 51 points in comparison to McCown’s 18.

Sophomore wrestler Mohammed Shahade discussed his strategy during matches, “Generally, my major aim is to tire out the opponent which slowly affects their performance, eventually allowing me to take advantage of their lack of energy in their actions to gain a victory,” he said. 

With a record of two wins and three losses, the wrestling team is currently ranked fourth in their division behind Curtis, Metropolitan Campus, East Harlem Pride, and Grover Cleveland. 

Table Tennis

The Girls’ Varsity Table Tennis team has had varied performances throughout the week. They lost a match on Tuesday 4-1 against Young Women’s Leadership School of Astoria. In their most recent match, they went up against Maspeth High School and won five games to none. 

Sophomore Rubi Kim, a doubles player, spoke to The Classic about the Maspeth matchup. She said, “We were still thinking about Tuesday’s match because it didn’t go as well as we anticipated since we were still rusty from break and didn’t get to practice as much as we would’ve liked. However, we worked hard and came out superior against Maspeth.” 

Sophomore Samira Li said “Our [table tennis] season has been great so far. We’ve won more games than we have lost and we’ve actually improved a lot, beating schools that we previously lost to last year. Our new coach has also been excellent in teaching us, we’ve learned a lot of new skills to use from him, allowing us to progress this far.” The team currently has a record of six wins and three losses and is tied for second place in their division with Benjamin N. Cardozo High School.

Track

The Boys’ Indoor Track Team has improved throughout the season. Sophomore captain Alex Yauri discussed the team’s seasonal performance with The Classic. “The season started off rough, but with practice, our team has gotten stronger. Our relay teams have definitely improved, and everyone has gotten faster,” he said. “Practices such as running 400 meters allow us to prepare for the 4×4 relays. One of our most recent meets was the Holiday Classic. We did great, especially our 4×8 and 4×4 teams.”

“Each person has their own unique goal,” said Alex, “but in the end, we just want to win our own race.” 

The Girls Indoor Track team has been doing well as their season progresses. Junior Emma Cheng discussed the team’s recent efforts. “We’re placing better than last year and we have borough champs coming up at the armory on February 5th,” she said. “So far we have won a 4×800 race at the first meet we attended, the Gobbler classic. We placed third in the 4×800 relay for the meet after and won second place in our last meet, the Day of Relays, which was a distance medley relay.”